can you fix a rapidfire?

stew-b

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i have a right hand 9 speed lx shifter (m570) that doesnt upshift very well ,sometimes not at all,pressing the lever way past the handlebar and it still wont click the ratchet.is there any way of stripping these? i seem to remeber reading something about removing the shifter window and doing something :?

Open the window where you normaly put the wire in when you replace this. Spray some teflon spray in the hole and wait for about 10 minutes. Shift and see if it works, if not spray again and wait again. These shifters are manufactored with greace that become thick after a while and the teflon weakens it again.

Good luck!

i tried some finish line grease through that hole and it seems to have done the trick :) thanks.

I knew a fast lad from ex shop thameside cycles affectionately known as ozzie mike (from melbourne). after crashin my front M950 shifter died.. or so I thought. despite more pieces than a chess set factory he successfully rebuilt it. hats off as if you've ever looked inside 1 of these units you'll know what a total mine field they are :)

he also did the best impression of a velocrapter (sp!, the dinosaur not the tyre!) that you've ever seen :LOL:

I had the same problem, looked like the retaining flanged nut had spread. Sorted that but they really are a bugger to put back together. My advice... fix it if you are mechanically minded buy a new one if not.

Back