2 shades of grey - Kona Project 2 and stem colour matching

Feedback
View
Bit of a random question but I wondered if anyone could help with a question I have about the colours of Kona Project 2s and Velocity stems?

I recently picked up a 1996 Project 2 fork, threaded and in grey. I also recently picked up a threaded Velocity stem which I figured must have been 1996 as well. This is because it's also a similar grey colour, and by 1997 I thought the Kona range changed over to ahead style steerers (and in 1995 I thought both forks and stems were more of a gold colour).

However, the fork and stem are not exactly the same colour, which as an anal perfectionist is clearly not desirable...so I wondered whether anyone knows if they are actually different years or from different models? Or indeed if this is normal and just the kind of variability expected of parts likely made in different factories at different times etc. Certainly if anyone out there has a 1996 Kona running these parts it would be great to know if their fork and stem match!

Pic attached, the fork is a flat grey, while the stem appears noticeably greenish it seems (more than the picture would suggest!)

photo-2_zpsea9d0807.jpg

Re: 2 shades of grey - Kona Project 2 and stem colour matchi

Fork decal is 1996. That colour was used 96/97

Crucially, they swicthed to ahead stems in 1997 and didnt use quill stems at all, which means the stem kinda has to be 1996.

I'd guess they were just painted in seperate batches

Actually looking in the 1996 catalogue there appears to be a fairly apparent difference twixt stem and fork

Mmmm, true, they don't look a perfect match in the catalogue. If this kind of difference is to be expected then fair enough - I can stop thinking about buying a new stem/fork! If anyone with a 1996 Kona can confirm that would be grand :)

Could the fact one is steel and the other aluminium affect the paint at all?

The stem is anodised, the fork is painted, they always looked different.

95 model years had the gold paint on both so matched.

I own a 1996 Lava Dome - since new, never been repainted. The steel forks are a noticably smoother surface onto which a grey base colour AND a semi-matt (or semi-gloss :roll: ) laquer are applied. The alloy stem is a bit rougher to the touch and has a matt grey colour of some kind but no laquer. My parts have exactly the same colour variation which you describe, the only difference i see between your components and mine is that my stem is entirely coated in grey whereas yours is not grey where it enters the headset. Pics follow..

Does anyone happen to know what colour "Kona fork grey" actually is? In either RAL or "very similar car" terms :)

Back