Rim options please

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all, very much out of my knowledge depth on this one so all advice would be warmly received.

80's period, i've noticed a lot of the high end bikes had dark grey anodised rims - Mavic / Nisi or what have you. I think these look bloody lovely with a set of tan-walls.

so i'd like to get some info on what was good, what was bad and anything else that is of note. for example, GP4's better than MA40's or GL330's??

plan is to get a pair of rims and get some wheels built up or purchase a wheelset that's in tip-top condition - here's the crux - i'd ideally want clinchers if at all possible but am aware that tubs where the order of the day at that time so not adverse to them either.

cheers.

Mavic stood for high quality in the 1980s with clinchers (G40, MA40) and tubs GP4, GL330, GEL280, CX18, SSC.

GP4s were known as the clubman's racer - not too heavy, pretty robust - if you turned up to a local race you'd see them everywhere. I rode GL330s which were seen as similar quality, but lighter (330g vs I think 395 from memory) - they're still fairly robust. SSCs were pro level sturdy (and very expensive) and CX18 were quite expensive and narrow, stiff - the time trialist's choice before it was understood that narrow rims were not necessarily aero. I run a pair of GEL280 and a pair of CX18s. My advice would be to avoid both if you want to use the wheels regularly. GEL 280s have a reputation for denting in pot holes, and it's really difficult to find 18-20 mm tubulars to suit CX18s these days (I run 21mm Vittoria Rallys and corner steadily).

Both G40 and MA40 were good strong rims.

Beware Nisi - I have a dilemma having bought a bike with Nisi Countach tubs - they lacked eyelets (I think they could be had with eyelets), and the rims have split over the years. Do I replace them more Nisi rims - I doubt their quality - but others may be able to vouch for them.

Otherwise, quality rim manufactures include Ambrosio, FIR and Campagnolo (from about 1984). Most of my bikes run Campag. rims and I've been using them since they became available and have found them as strong as Mavic. Victory strada would be a good equivalent to GP4s - several sets have never let me down, plus they have a nice brown anodising that goes well with amberwalls and looks classy and classic (in my opinion).

I'd give a big thumbs up to Mavic Open 4CD, I have had two pairs since 1989 (36 spoke on Miche Superfast hubs) and apart from the occasional broken spoke I have found them to be robust and light. The grey anodised finish on the aero section rim really appealed to the 15 year old me and I still love the way they look today. You see them on Ebay fairly regularly but a lot have lost their coating on the brake surface so buyer beware.

_DSC2120_small.jpg

One set has these black Michelin tyres and the other set, reserved for very special occasions, has a set of Michelin Hi Lite Comp tyres fitted and thy look fab!

thanks gents, that's clarified a few things for me. very much going down the mavic route, understated yet classy (did a bit of image searching on the www). actually realised i've got a GL330 on a 650c wheel in the spares bin - really liking the colour & profile. In saying that I also like the open4CD although losing the coating on the brake surface sort of puts me off a bit. the tommasini in this months rBOTM has the look i'm after.

now comes the painful bit of sourcing some and deciding whether to build from separates or buy as a wheelset if i can find some in the right condition and with the right hubs!

Actually my old MA2 wheelset is dying, not 2 much life left in the braking surface. They're uncrushable, tolerate potholes, bumps like a charm, easy to true, and after truing they stay that way for ages.

Now for new wheelset I was considering whether I should choose open4cd or ma2-s, as, apart from them I only have experience with GP4. I liked those tubby rims for their braking abilities.

I've searched for old italian rims, ambrosio, nisi but those seem much heavier than mavics. :-|

Can anyone recommend better option than open4cds? And also, for hubs.. Will a sh. 8-10 spd cassette body accept an 8spd shimano cassette with 7 spd spacings (so, theoretically the whole thingy would be something like 8*5=40 mm, mínus 3,2 mm which is the spacer used for seven speed sh cassettes... )

I'm asking the last because of the campa8spd brifters I've. So far they were rowing on 7spd HG cassette but it'd be nice to upgrade to 8spd. And using a shimano hub with campa spacing is a waay cheaper than getting 8spd campy hubs.

just had new rims built up gray anodized Mavic Open Pro low profile look old school.

Attachments

• mavic rims.JPG
    mavic rims.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 622
As I know, open pros and even open sports (half the price, not too heavy, durable) even come in silver colour if one's aiming for more retro appearance. :)

I think you need to decide 1st if you want to ride tubs or clinchers , that will then send you along a certain pathway.

99% on having clinchers and am going to try and get hold of some as a built wheelset - found some only for the seller to pull the sale without warning!

i've also purchased a pair of Galli rims (tubs) so that I can have a go (commence lots of profanities) at building a set of wheels myself - god help me on that one!

so here's today's stupid questions....any facts / knowledge / course of action would be massively appreciated

1] once i've sourced some hubs (32F / 36R) preferably Shimano (and matching - this may prove tricky) how do I know what spoke-sets to buy i.e. length, type etc? what about spoke nipples - are these standard or do different ones go with different spokes?
2] retailers in the UK where I can get some decent ones, don't want the cheap & cheerful ones.
3] front will be built in radial formation but what options have I got for the rear?

cheers guys...

FINNEY1973":2dpaevps said:
99% on having clinchers and am going to try and get hold of some as a built wheelset - found some only for the seller to pull the sale without warning!

i've also purchased a pair of Galli rims (tubs) so that I can have a go (commence lots of profanities) at building a set of wheels myself - god help me on that one!

so here's today's stupid questions....any facts / knowledge / course of action would be massively appreciated

1] once i've sourced some hubs (32F / 36R) preferably Shimano (and matching - this may prove tricky) how do I know what spoke-sets to buy i.e. length, type etc? what about spoke nipples - are these standard or do different ones go with different spokes?
2] retailers in the UK where I can get some decent ones, don't want the cheap & cheerful ones.
3] front will be built in radial formation but what options have I got for the rear?

cheers guys...

I'd suggest do a web search, or search various UK based cycling forums, or start a new thread, for the above otherwise this thread is going to go off topic.

Mavic Open Pro low profile look old school

As far as I'm concerned the Open pro and similar are current modern rims. They have a different shape compared with the older shallow box section rim.

Back