Preparing for a 40mile road ride... What do I need?

Another tip is to try to be aware of your cadence all the time. I find that as I get more tired I tend to forget about it and find myself pushing too big a gear on occasion. However the more I ride on road the better I get at keeping spinning without thinking about it.

I'd be very tempted to loose the camelbak and go for 2x 750ml bottles and cages and a large saddlebag for misc stuff - easier on the back!

I'm sticking with the camelbak.

My 456 only has one set of bottle mounts for a start lol.

I dipped out on the London to reading due to travelling problems (my van was driven in to so currently being repaired). Spoke to the nice people at the BHF and they very kindly offered me the Dorset bike ride which is pretty local to me so I transferred my entry from the London to reading ride to doing the Dorset bike ride. I've chosen the 50mile ride as I didn't think the 25 would be enough of a challenge for me.

After doing a few longer rides I'm keeping my bike as is (it's got an outer chainring on now instead of a bash ring). I'm comfortable with it and realistically unless its mega hilly (which I doubt as its aimed at some people will be doing it with little training/fitness preperation) then I shouldn't have a problem.

@ChrisR. Who did you speak to at bhf as I've entered the London to Brighton day ride but am trying to get transferred over to the night ride. I've phoned and emailed them but so far have heard nothing do may be asking the wrong people. :(

Take bog roll, a few zip ties and some gaffa tape.
Bog roll is the most overlooked item and if you pack a lighter you can burn it 'after use' if you are in the countryside. Burning reduces littering.
zip ties and tape are handy do all items, including first aid

I expect the OP has done the ride by now, but i am still a bit miffed.

Seriously, i dont understand some of the folk in this thread, i am currently 17.5 stone, i used to be 21 stone, i am not a small chap by any means, but 40 miles on road is not really a hard ride :| its only "hard" if you twaddle along and spend hours upon hours doing it (then it can hurt your hoop a bit)

The missus has booked us a night away at the end of may for my birthday, the only problem is its a 70 mile ride to get to it and a 70 mile ride the following day to get back, i am expecting that to be a bit of a pain (literally) i might even fit some slick/spare/commute tyres to the 99 FSR (well she has hybrid tyres on her bike lol) seams a waste to wear down my new Conti Mountainking/Rubber Queen combo.

The most i have done on a ride so far was a 58 miler last summer, that was mostly road/path stuff around the NE coastline and was not so bad, but the missus likes to go at a slower pace so it means more saddle time (hence a sore hoop)

The missus did this 140 miler over two days last summer and she hardly rides her bike much at all (she did say it was hard for her though)

Tazio":33nkwb3l said:
Another tip is to try to be aware of your cadence all the time. I find that as I get more tired I tend to forget about it and find myself pushing too big a gear on occasion. However the more I ride on road the better I get at keeping spinning without thinking about it.

This!

I find i can spin all day as long as i am spinning at quite a fast pace, it just seams a hell of a lot easier on the legs then pushing big gears and turning slower, energy management!

S-M":hipxr3t9 said:
I expect the OP has done the ride by now, but i am still a bit miffed.

Seriously, i dont understand some of the folk in this thread, i am currently 17.5 stone, i used to be 21 stone, i am not a small chap by any means, but 40 miles on road is not really a hard ride :| its only "hard" if you twaddle along and spend hours upon hours doing it (then it can hurt your hoop a bit.

Not done it just yet. Had to change the ride I'm doing due to issues with travelling, now doing the Dorset bike ride for the British heart foundation on 28th of this month. Opted for 50miles (25 didn't seem enough of a challenge).

Thanks for the tip on keeping cadence, I to have been guilty of just grinding away when tired rather than keeping cadence up like I should. Although gradually getting better.

Back