Start of the VITUS Carbon rebuild, REOPENED

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
I closed this thread once but I have been asked to reopen it so here we go
A 9 tube Vitus rebuild with full mavic Groupset.
Sorry for the poor photos but I did this in a real hurry.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 688
Re: Start of the VITUS Carbon rebuild

Yes indeed he does , I have a composite factory in Australia and that tubing is actually kevlar and carbon fibres filament wound together . why does the seat post grub screw appear to be red ?

what saddle are you going to fit stringfellow ? I am on the lookout for a french reydel but may have to settle for a Hinault branded turbo for my Vitus I think.

latman":1btlkt89 said:
Yes indeed he does , I have a composite factory in Australia and that tubing is actually kevlar and carbon fibres filament wound together . why does the seat post grub screw appear to be red ?

what saddle are you going to fit stringfellow ? I am on the lookout for a french reydel but may have to settle for a Hinault branded turbo for my Vitus I think.

The seat post fixing bolt is Rusty. I will be replacing it as & when. NB The seat post came with the bike & its 23mm, I've never seen one that small before on a quality racing bike.
I have no idea what saddle I will new using yet. As I'm still trying to sauce a few more Mavic Parts.

mine (bought frame used)has a 25mm campag one , is that vitus or something else like a rubis ?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!iUE+OV6+tH7BP5gC0,-ww~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!iUE+OV6+tH7BP5gC0,-ww~~60_12.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,066

latman":3p3m50v0 said:
mine (bought frame used)has a 25mm campag one , is that vitus or something else like a rubis ?
Yes this was a very tatty frame & forks when I bought it. I've very carefully rubbed it down with 800 & 1200 wet & dry removing all the old decals & lacquer. I purchased new decals & refitted them and then had my local car shop respray shop re lacquer the frame with 2 part lacquer.
Its been a long time trying to acquire all the Mavic parts that I need. I have some Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims that I've rebuilt onto Mavic 500rd & 550rd Hubs ,& now most other pars i need except for the pedals.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Watching this with interest, not to mention a few pangs of jealousy...

I am still trying to buy a nice set of these !

Attachments

• mavic 645 pedals.jpg
    mavic 645 pedals.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,001
  • mavic 645.jpg
    mavic 645.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,001

Looks very nice, you have certainly got the finish right on the frame. Just returned from my travels today, I saw you bagged some brake levers, I've got a similar build on the go as you know with a 979 duralinox, I have the pedals but am short a single brake Lever, these mavic parts are hard to source. I think the original headset is very hard to come by but I've also got the same headset as you. Looking forward to the finished bike. I think it needs clips and straps, don't go for clipless or else I think Sean might be annoyed! DD ;-)

Doubledee":39kxbm52 said:
Looks very nice, you have certainly got the finish right on the frame. Just returned from my travels today, I saw you bagged some brake levers, I've got a similar build on the go as you know with a 979 duralinox, I have the pedals but am short a single brake Lever, these mavic parts are hard to source. I think the original headset is very hard to come by but I've also got the same headset as you. Looking forward to the finished bike. I think it needs clips and straps, don't go for clipless or else I think Sean might be annoyed! DD ;-)

!00% agree with the NOT getting clip less pedals. Yes the headset 300,302 & 310 are difficult to come by.

Back