What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help please

Re: What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help pl

Well that's a new one......Carlton copies down under !

Best of luck with your search.

Have noted your other post about getting it on the road with period bits, which sort ob begs the question which period as it looks like a 60's track bike whoever built it :D

Shaun

well, that is the question.... parts between the 1960 and 1970 i guess.....

I had a another PM from someone who said it was a Donovan, so its +2 for O'Donovan as the builder......... i really don't know what to say as they don't have a record of frame numbers....but maybe that's as close as i will ever get to knowing who built it.

Very nice frame whatever the original builder :)

Personally I'd go for early 70's stuff so avoid the nose bleed prices of late 60's kit like Chater lea, Airlite, etc:)

Shaun

Thanks, I am very happy with it, love the double crown forks.

Price will play a huge part in the builds component choice. I have almost finished a Mercian tandem, that has wiped me out.. this project will have to be done on a budget.

luckyskull76":lno80dyx said:
thanks for your help and advice. looking forward to painting it a flamboyant turquoise / light pink panel. .....then applying some Carlton Decals.

Unless I know definitely a frame is a certain brand, eg engravings on the frame, the frame's got its original finish, I have the receipt or the frame number matches a framebuilder's record book, then I wouldn't just put some random maker's name on it based on some guess work.

That was at a point when I(and a few others) thought it was a Carlton, since then the doors have been flung open. High chance is a O'Donovan ......or a re-badged Carlton, Cecil walker or Hillman.

Till I know 100% who built it I will not add decals........it could be like that for the rest of its life.....

keithglos":1ysjcqe7 said:
Looks to me a bit special. No brakes, heavy seat tube, and Campagnolo ends were about 1958 on.
Crimped chainstay, was this done by the builder? Interesting to look up the tubes from the bottom bracket, are they pinned? And odd frame number, so is looking less like a Carlton.

and yes, the BB shell and forks have been pinned.... The forks also have the same number as the frame stamped on the steerer: 7315.

Not having a great deal of knowledge of frame building, what could the frame being pinned indicate? That it was made before 1970?

Back when I sold Raleighs and others in the 1950's all Raleigh frames were assembled and drilled and pinned to hold the tubes in position for the brazing spelter to be shot at the joints. If you clamp the frame securely while brazing there can be significant stressing on cooling.
I understand that carlton tacked theirs with copper while in the jig to hold them together before brazing, thus heating the joints twice, so no pins.
Most small handbuilders did not use jigs, but relied on skill and simple alignment measuring tools, and were able to correct the frame as they went, with out pinning. Some preferred what was the earlier style of pinning.
So the builder in question pinned his frames, most likely all he made.
This is not conclusive, but may help.
The fork crown was referred to as a "two plate" crown, but some were made in one piece.
Keith

Back