Who is right?

Huxley was closer to the truth, as far as Western culture goes.

Although I still rate 1984 as one of the cleverest books I've ever read - despite the superficial Soviet-style totalitarian vibe, it had plenty to say about so-called democracies as well, if you read between the lines.

Most governments only tell you, what they, want you, to hear. They also add layers knowing you will be more intersted in the newest information than the old thus distracting you.

The versificator idea has some resonance - tuneless, soulless guff at the turn of a handle fed to the masses...

Retro Cat":226hsgj4 said:
The versificator idea has some resonance - tuneless, soulless guff at the turn of a handle fed to the masses...

Hmm....I detect the hand of Cowell somewhere in that. "Versificator" is even an anagram of X-Factor....oh, all right then, it isn't. But the "tuneless, soulless guff" comparison stands up well.

David

David B":2tcjm8ps said:
Retro Cat":2tcjm8ps said:

Hmm....I detect the hand of Cowell somewhere in that. "Versificator" is even an anagram of X-Factor....oh, all right then, it isn't. But the "tuneless, soulless guff" comparison stands up well.

David

There are elements of both in today's western culture. On a micro scale it's 1984 on a macro scale it's bnw.

Back