Modern era Campagnolo

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've a Colnago Master X light(cheers bigfoz :) ) sat before me and I've no intention of defying convention and fitting anything but Campagnolo. But I am leaning towards using a more modern mix! It seems from 92 on that Campag were almost frantic in their bid to get more cogs out back! 7/8/9/10/11 speed, I can only imagine this leads to quite a bit of campatibility problems, leaving that aside was there any particular 'speed' that was problematic or shortlived? Any real boogers best avoided? Conversely what was the shining star of the last 15 years or so? What modern stuff do you think has that Campag look.

Of course if you do have any bikes with mixed bag of kit I'd love to hear about it, I'd love to get a period pair of cranks with modern rings and drivetrain coupled with period brakes. To top it off some period hubs laced to carbon rims.

I think one of the speeds has two different shifter/mech standards. 9 speed rings a bell for some reason

If i was building up a frame that lovely I'd go straight to 11 speed athena. Silver, obviously. 10 speed centaur/daytona looks really nice though and is good value used.

Edited: there's an "old" and "new" 9 speed standard. the "old" 9 speed standard pulls slightly more cable

Some of the 10 speed centaur/daytona bits I'm using

IMG_20130223_124313_zpsc564e5aa.jpg

IMG_20130223_124331_zps1f424142.jpg

IMG_20130223_124319_zpsb83ff3f5.jpg

All Silver stuff is good on a neo retro build.

9 speed stuff is differentiated by pre and post 2000 with incompatible shifters/mechs. cog spacings remained the same.

9/10/11 all shift well, 8 uses an incompatible (with 9/10/11) hub and is a much clunkier affair.

2012 onwards Athena 11 speed shifters are crap.

I have a set of 1st gen carbon Bora wheels with Alloy record hubs and carbon rims which sound perfect for the build... :)

Andy

cce":3rp7nbay said:
Some of the 10 speed centaur/daytona bits I'm using

IMG_20130223_124313_zpsc564e5aa.jpg

IMG_20130223_124331_zps1f424142.jpg

IMG_20130223_124319_zpsb83ff3f5.jpg

I've got Centaur 10sp alloy Ergos (working a Sachs 8sp set-up) on my CX bike. Good levers those, giving the right balance between price, performance & build quality. Recommended.

David

Record 10 speed has that campag look. To be fair to campag even the new silver veloce look quite good but all there carbon groupsets just look lovely. It all looks good.

If you want modern I think Chorus 11 speed is probably the best of the lot, it is sort of affordable and it make a bike feel special. Athena still uses the power torque system so if you want to do all maintance yourself be prepared to splash of on crank pullers and bearing pullers.
Chorus uses the Ultra torque system and you will only need bearing pullers to replace the BB bearings.

For this reason older square taper Record 10 speed is hard to beat.

Back