1993 Kona Kilauea - fork choice advice needed.

So I'm riding the Kilauea in an 8 hour endurance on May 24th, call me a wimp, but after commuting on the bike for the last week I've decided that I'm too old and feeble to do the race fully-rigid. I have two forks that I'm considering, a period correct Marzocchi XCR and a not so correct but very funky Bomber Z2 Super Fly, based on good taste, geometry and comfort, what do the many RetroBIKE Kona fans think is the way to go?

Fork pix below:
DSCN0006.jpg

EDIT: Also, does anyone have the faintest idea where I might be able to get a cantilever stop for the Z2?

You can use either...as long as you promise to put the P2 back on straight after the event! :LOL:

I would lean towards the XCR but that's just me.

Geoff":27z1pj88 said:
You can use either...as long as you promise to put the P2 back on straight after the event! :LOL:

I would lean towards the XCR but that's just me.

I agree, make sure the P2's go back on!! ;)

I would go with the Bomber Z2 Super Fly, personally, aesthetics aside, they have got to be a better fork for a race.

The Bombers for the race, then back to the P2s here as well.

The XCRs are more period correct, but are made of overcooked pasta. The bombers will allow you to go round corners whilst releiving some of the pain.

Personally, I'd get a spare crown race (if possible) and have the option of swapping the forks over part way through the race if you get fed up of one set up. 15 minutes isn't going to make a huge difference in an 8 hour (presumably lap based) enduro.

I agree that the Super Flys are a much more capable fork, but they're really too long for the 93 geometry, so I'd say it depends on the kind of course it is, how well the XCRs work and whether you're going to need the sharper handling that the XCRs should give you. Hopefully as it's eight hours it won't be too tight and technical though!

One argument for the XCRs is that you'd get hugely more respect - whatever your result, people would look at the forks and think 'wow, that guy can ride'. With the Super Flys, they'd look at you not the forks and maybe think something a bit less charitable!

Run the Bomber with a bit of sag and the geometry wont suffer for it. Ditto the idea of getting a spare headset race and brakes and then being able to swap back and forth between the P2 and the Bomber.

Put the XCR in the cabinet.

Very nice bike! :D

Latest posts

Back