18th birthday, cannondale retro present....

dazaa

Dirt Disciple
Got a few quid for my birthday and the second I saw this beast down at my local police auction among the halfrauds crap and low end hybrids I knew I had to have it. I've wanted a Cannondale for longer than I can even remember and this one was just crying out to be saved. Described by the auctioneers as "unknown make bike" due to the clip on mudguard covering the lettering. I ended up getting it all in for £60 and after fitting the chain back on, even rode it home :D
It's seen some serious action, but apart from one dent the frame isn't cracked or damaged whatsoever. Marzocchi z3 forks seem ok, Deore levers and front mech, Sram shifters and rear mech which seems bent?, not sure what the front wheel is but it's decent, the rear however is bent and actually a disc rim which was used with V brakes!

Can anyone ID which model of cannondale frame this is? And any suggestions as to what I should be looking to change or just general opinions would be appreciated. The front brake is utter crap, had a quick go at adjusting it but it really isn't any better. Would I be able to upgrade it to a quality shimano or similar item? Does anyone have any suggestions for a rear wheel? Something that matches the big profile of the front but that can be used with V brakes? Even though it certainly needs some work, I took it for a 4 hour ride today and I absolutely love it! I can see this becoming my main bike, much nicer than my modern GT transeo hybrid, with this you can actually get over curbs!

017-1_zps32bd99d9.jpg

018-3_zps8e624cdd.jpg

As it was just after I pulled it out.

044_zps88477b39.jpg

045_zps7f8456c5.jpg

047_zps5019f36a.jpg

048_zps4c62ec01.jpg

049_zpsf9c1b9ce.jpg

050_zps60b46fa2.jpg

Regards
Daz

Interesting, can't recall any cannondales with wishbone seatstays? I wonder what model it is.

Shame about the dent in the down tube but it's smallish and if the bike is a learning project/daily rider then can't see too much wrong

dazaa":3ehdkoln said:
It's seen some serious action, but apart from one dent the frame isn't cracked or damaged whatsoever. Marzocchi z3 forks seem ok, Deore levers and front mech, Sram shifters and rear mech which seems bent?

The hanger is bent, not the derailleur itself. Any decent bike shop will have the tool to straighten it.

looks like a post '97 F series back end but the head tube doesn't look thick enough for a headshock. Best guess is a late '90's M series.

Just in case anyone was wondering what happened to this, it became this.

70 miles ridden and it's still in one piece so I guess I did ok :cool:

EDIT: Sigh, I never will understand why photobucket doesn't always rotate the picture when linked with the IMG code??

Ello, You definitely did OK! Nice work.

Just seen this and FWIW in relation to your initial query as to it's age I would pin it at '95, likely an M900

Back