What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help please

Re: What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help pl

keithglos":xa0lha39 said:
My general feeling on the crimped chainstay is "post production". I can't see Reynolds making it like that.
When the job was to put various parts together to work effectively I often had to do minor modifications and regretfully some like this.

are you saying this was done by one of the past owners or the builder? leads you to think this is small frame builder or carlton? any clues?

ooops just spent some time typing why this is a Carlton frame IMHO.......and it's gone missing :(

Shaun

This disappeared as well, perhaps I should have left it.

Someone more knowledgeable than me could help here.
No number on the fork column (steerer)
Not much lug filing
Built for Campagnolo track hubs
20g seat tube for rigidity.(butted 531 was usually 20/23g single butted.
Pure track bikes often made near hard tracks.

There is nothing like running hands over the frame,

Shaun, most of the above could be Carlton, but the serial number?

Keith.... looks like a Carlton frame built for someone who did track work, or even a spot of Grasstrack :)

Shaun

Luckyskull

Flam = Flamboyant, a type of metallic paint finish

Panel = a band of contrasting colour on one of the tubes, usually to apply the decals and also for decoration, think of the blue panels on an orange Holdsworth frame.

Always difficult to put these these frames in a convenient "box" some Carltons had the points of the lugs filed down so they were flush with the frame. The framebuilder was either having a boring day or was on the "to do list" for that particular frame.

Carlton track bikes usually came in two guises, a softer frame for more road use and a more focused track frame like yours. Called the Madison if memory serves?

Shaun

thanks for your help and advice. looking forward to painting it a flamboyant turquoise / light pink panel. .....then applying some Carlton Decals.

Thinking of painting it like this, but without the barber pole.

Now the hunt begins for parts and componants....

DSCF2831_zps502f27e7.jpg

A little update. I wrote to Jerry from: http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/carlton-links.htm
such a nice guy. Wrote back within 30mins of my message. This is his reply.......

Tricky. It looks every inch a Carlton Flyer from around 1960. However, the frame number is odd and there does not appear to be two small holes for a headstock badge that would have been there on a Carlton.

Carlton made frames for at least 16 other makes, some of whom were very reluctant to let it be known that Carlton made their frames (Anquetil?). However, this tended to be later in the 60’s.

One possibility that would date from that era is a Donovan. The Donovan family owned Carlton in the 1950’s and some quality frames were made with a Donovan logo in the form of a transfer rather than a headstock badge. Have a look at http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/wanderlust.htm. The frames were numbered differently and there are no records of numbers.

Worth taking a look inside the seat tube from the bottom bracket, sometimes you find works dockets tucked in there giving details of finish and model.

Another possibility – is there a different number stamped on the steering stem? Some 531 racing frames were numbered there.

Final possibility – Original Carlton refurbished by someone who rebadged and renumbered it.

The attached catalogue sheet gives the sort of specs that Carlton were offering for 1960.

Sorry can’t help further.

Regards,

Jerry

1960-1_zpsa30869bf.jpg

Back