What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help please

Re: What is this? Vintage Track Frame identification help pl

thanks guys.....yup, i agree. Having looked at quite a few flyers on the net, i think its too close not to be. Looking forward to taking it for a test ride........Then think about restoration, re-spray and decals ect.

have tried to date the frame using this site bit no luck: http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm

Think they started using those lugs in the mid 50's, looks like the Flyer with close clearances which was sometime after.

Not ridden Old Neds Flyer but rode a lot of Carltons in the 70's including an all chrome flyer track built for my boss at the bike shop were I worked.

Carltons always had a nice ride, even the cheap ones. Tight enough angles and shortish rake forks make them feel nimble but easy to ride hands off and OK on long rides.

Think Carlton....... think Chrome, Flam and panels :D

Shaun

Looks to me a bit special. No brakes, heavy seat tube, and Campagnolo ends were about 1958 on.
Crimped chainstay, was this done by the builder? Interesting to look up the tubes from the bottom bracket, are they pinned? And odd frame number, so is looking less like a Carlton.

I would love it to be all chrome under the paint..... I saw one a few months back. very nice......

I think it is maybe 70's (73 14)?

This flyer is from 1956. It has the same stylings as mine, but with relaxed angles and larger clearances.
Carltron-Flyer-track-on-whls_zps4ff15b89.jpg

What is Flam and panels shaun?

keithglos":3v3w3vhf said:
Looks to me a bit special. No brakes, heavy seat tube, and Campagnolo ends were about 1958 on.
Crimped chainstay, was this done by the builder? Interesting to look up the tubes from the bottom bracket, are they pinned? And odd frame number, so is looking less like a Carlton.

this is an interesting view point..... the frame number is the thing thats throwing me.....

will try and look down the tubes if i can.

Your example from 1956 is typical of the time, high bottom bracket, mudguard eyes, clubman bike for time trialling, track and grass track, riding to work in the winter.
A major purchase then, and had to do it all.
Yours is a purpose built hard track bike, possibly ridden on Australian roads. Riding with no brakes here in 1958 could be treated a bit seriously, although I did occasionally in the late 1940's.
Does the crimped chainstay look like Reynolds work, or hand done.
And rear width must be 120mm.

This is a picture of the chain stay, i would guess that it was hand done? maybe.
ScreenShot2013-02-21at151510_zps9947010c.png

ScreenShot2013-02-21at151556_zpsa7882aa7.png

Don't forget the Alec Bird frame with Capella lugs that was on here recently. Perhaps it is from a small builder who used a set of Capella lugs bought through the trade?

My general feeling on the crimped chainstay is "post production". I can't see Reynolds making it like that.
When the job was to put various parts together to work effectively I often had to do minor modifications and regretfully some like this.

just had a look at the Alec Bird thread. such a nice frame!

Due to the frame number i am am leaning in the direction of a small builder using Carlton old stock. What would type of lugs used on my frame be called? Anyone know of any other frames that have used them?

Back