• MADB's 1984 S & G Cycles Muddy Fox

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • wtb_rider's Brodie Bastard

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
brocklanders023":1eif0j3b said:
The Orbit for me this month.

I don't think a picture of a frame followed by a picture of the same frame, cleaned up and with parts bolted on is really in the spirit of this months poll.

As much as we might want to think it's rocket science.
Pretty much, thats exactly what restoring a bike is.

Thanks for all the kind words on the Orbit guys, really means a lot :cool: I never expected so much love for it!

Its a REALLY tough month, with the definition of "restoration" being totally open to the voters interpretation. As others have alluded to, my definition of "retrobike restoration" is to see the potential in an unloved bike, and bring it back better than ever - keeping it period where possible.

Threads on restorations like this are the essence of retrobike for me, along with seeing the NOS garage queens now and then. Fantastic month :D

Ductape":1n9ha4m9 said:
brocklanders023":1n9ha4m9 said:

I don't think a picture of a frame followed by a picture of the same frame, cleaned up and with parts bolted on is really in the spirit of this months poll.

See was8v's post above. A perfect resto for me is a knackered looking complete-ish bike with rusty parts, missing cables etc transformed through hard work in to a bike to be proud of. Buying a frame and then building it up with parts you have/buy loses something for me. It's not a restoration, it's a re-build if you get what I mean. No problem with it as I've re-built loads of bikes but to me a restoration is fixing and re-using as many original parts as possible.

brocklanders023":14wjta2x said:
Ductape":14wjta2x said:
brocklanders023":14wjta2x said:

" fixing and re-using as many original parts as possible."

I think I agree with you 100% here.....

Exactly!

Cheers,
Tim

This is kinda getting my goat a bit here, the arguing about the defininition of a restoration etc etc etc.

The Koski is doing really well and is a lovely story and a very historical bike.....

However, how the hell is it a restoration without having all the rust, scrapes and rough spots sorted out? You wouldn't accept your car as restored if the bodyshop didn't paint it would you?

This is just as much "just a rebuild" as some of the other entries. I admit a very lucky/original rebuild but still....

rant over.

There is no rust internally or externally on the frame, but there is a primer (which I assume is what you are referring to). Paints abused but the frame is as straight and as clean as day one. Joe had the paint matched, ready and offered to do the work but all four of us agreed that it would be shame to hide that history (decals and chips from the piles). Maybe it's not a restoration but I figured it was worth throwing it out there. The main reason I entered is I hope there are a few people out there who were not familiar with Erik Koski's work who now can put a bike to the name.

I personally think it is pretty funny. Arguing over the definition of "restoration" and then voting for a bike that is by your own definition not a restoration. Pretty classic actually. We all know the Koski deserves to win. We all know that a bike of that significance is better off in a somewhat unrestored state and what was done to that bike was exactly the right thing to do. Any repaint of that bike would have reduced its value so it was properly and carefully rebuilt as it should be. What StanLee did with that bike was absolutely the best path possible for that bike. We all knew that bike would win the moment it was posted. It is, afterall a part of a museum exibit which brings me to my next point and I will get flamed for this. If your bike is already in a frickin museum, you won already. When we have a "My bike is in the Smithsonian" BOTM contest please feel free to enter. Until then piss off and let the amateurs have some fun. :mrgreen:

Personally though really I am quite happy with the votes I have recieved, although I had 18 votes prior to the reset and now I have just 8. I think I will repost the bike next month just so you guys can debate whether or not a bike with modern parts should be in the contest. That should be fun.

May I just make 1 point clear ref my previous statement:

I am not having a go at Stanlee's bike, or what he has chosen to do with it, nor am I having a pop at anyone else's hard work and efforts.

I'm having a pop at some of the elitism and hypocrisy.

All the bikes entered this month deserve to be in this poll IMO. (and a few that seem not to have made it)

The previous votes need to be factored back in in my opinion (if possible without double voting). it won't change the outcome, but it would be the right thing to do.

Back