Colnago Roger de Vlaeminck cyclocross bike

Stempie

Retro Guru
Check out this beautiful Colnago cyclocross bike custom built for Roger de Vlaeminck himself! A couple of pictures of the bike are already in another topic from a while back, but I thought it deserved its own topic.

8035017374_2777eec08a_b.jpg

As far as I know Colnago only built steel CX bike for professional cyclists up until recently. This frame seems to be based on the Colnago Super. The bike features a beautifully drilled and pantographed Campagnolo Nuovo Record parts group, a custom drilled 3TTT stem, Mafac brakes, Mavic Monthlery rims and a Selle Royal saddle. Aside from the saddle the whole bike in great condition. Given its age (the rear derailleur is stamped 'patent 76') I would say that is pretty unique.

8035018101_463faf4da9_b.jpg

8035017290_5e9e2ce348_b.jpg

8035017212_7b44b37cf4_b.jpg

8035017094_ee4167566c_b.jpg

8035017941_8731b8318c_b.jpg

8035017897_8b9fa7b45d_b.jpg

8035017839_554dc68218_b.jpg

8035017685_cb73acdfeb_b.jpg

8035016878_6d370ac1b2_b.jpg

That is spectacular - where do you find things like that?

I have to say I am puzzled though - AFAIK Roger De Vlaeminck was riding for Brooklyn who used Gios Torino
bikes in 1976. Was this a special custom one-off Colnago made for him?

Cheers,

Johnny

American Friend":2vpomwnf said:
Wow!
Just noticed the front brake cable routing through the stem. :shock:
a bit OTT. :LOL:

Quite normal for cyclocross bikes and bikes with centre pull brakes,
Routing the cable through the seatpost was also quite common.

Johnsqual":u81e5hqy said:
American Friend":u81e5hqy said:
Wow!

If you can get hold of a first edition copy of Simon Burney's excellent book on the sport, bags of photographic evidence in there.

David

Johnsqual":32p06n0t said:
That is spectacular - where do you find things like that?

I have to say I am puzzled though - AFAIK Roger De Vlaeminck was riding for Brooklyn who used Gios Torino
bikes in 1976. Was this a special custom one-off Colnago made for him?

I bought the bike of the friend of Roger. The women used it as a commuter bike a couple of times, but thought the tubular tire were not really practical (you don't say). Anyway, she had now idea what she was selling.

The fact that the derailleur is pat 76 doesn't mean the bike is too. He rode for a team with Colnago bikes a couple of years later, so it could be from that period.

David B":cpc5x3jb said:
Johnsqual":cpc5x3jb said:
American Friend":cpc5x3jb said:
Wow!

If you can get hold of a first edition copy of Simon Burney's excellent book on the sport, bags of photographic evidence in there.

David

Gios did that 1987 with their MTB Prototype. A kind of reminiscens to old cyclocross days, but they did it with a ShimaNO equipment!!!
Giosgremlin

Back