1997 Orange P7 LX: Loved, stolen, recovered 9 years later!

Re: 1997 Orange P7 LX: Loved, stolen, recovered 9 years late

It doesn't really matter - I am sure a good frame builder would replace it with an appropriate tube. Maybe ask orange to see if they have any specs?

Fox":tfl8uhwp said:
Hmm, I can see what you're saying. To be honest, the money isn't so much the problem - I'm in the fortunate position of having a lot more than I had when I was 16/17! And this will always be cheap compared to last year's full carbon everything audax bike build :shock:

But the tubing Orange used for the P7 was Orange's own Series 8 tubing, what would the equivalent be? Would it really be the same? If I picked up another '97 P7 I'd know that I was riding a '97 P7, just a different one...

The seat tube, according to the catalogue, was also "externally butted at clamp and ovalised at bottom bracket". Could that be recreated?

It just seems like a lot of hassle with potential pitfalls. Logically another frame would be so much easier...

Any good frame builder could effect this, Woodrup at Leeds have a good name, but there are many. Is the tube actually "bent", or dented? Seat tubes are much easier to work on than other tubes, being accessible. I would persist with a full refurb, as the frame has so much sentimental value to you. :mrgreen:
Also if you use a USE (see what I did there :LOL: ) seatpost, any problems with the seat tube damaged wouldn't really matter.

Have you got the frame back and actually had a very close look at the "bent" seat tube yourself?
Hard to see how it could bend and not affect either the top tube or chainstays as well tbh.

Get it to a frame builders/repairers and have it checked out, it may be possible to straighten things out, or at worst replace the seat tube with a similar grade tube, if the frame is stripped of paint anyway then it's the perfect time really, and it probably won't cost as much as you may think.
Also worth contacting Orange and telling them your story, they may have some of the correct tubing knocking around in a dusty storeroom somewhere.

I agree with Rob, another P7 frame just won't be the same, and you'll likely regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life :)
I went through the whole "loved it, lost it, found it again" thing with my Orange Prestige (see signature) and I honestly think I will now keep that frame and take it with me to my grave :D

get it fixed....end!!!

it's only metal.....but "your" metal!!

Steel can be bent back.... Get it back and take a look. I wouldn't bother replacing the tube, as you say better get another frame.

RAL 2004 powder seems pretty close to that darker orange (see link to my bike in my sig).

jimo746":2bban1oz said:
Have you got the frame back and actually had a very close look at the "bent" seat tube yourself?
Hard to see how it could bend and not affect either the top tube or chainstays as well tbh.

No, in a word, and I agree. I'm assuming Armourtex know what they're talking about, but I think my next move will be to take it to Ryan at Oak Cycles, who comes highly recommended by a few people I know.

Then if the seat tube does need replacing, get him to do it (I think you have all collectively persuaded me)!

Good call, I reckon you'll have something very special afterwards.

Thanks, I hope so!

So, I've basically already decided I want to rebuild it exactly as it was, so I'm going to need some bits! This is as much a list to help me, and I'll post a wanted ad, but if anyone can help/point me in the right direction please shout...

• Black Syncros Hardcore seatpost (29.8mm)
  • Pace RC36 MXCD (I've already picked up a pair of '98 forks from Racin'snake, which are lovely, but I might have to be a purist and find some '97s!)
  • Pace RC-50XC front hub (single axle, the silver bodied type, not the grey pro-class - the colour of the end cups doesn't matter so much as I can pick up some blue ones from justbackdated)
  • LX RD-M567 rear mech - found and on the way!
  • LX SL-M569 shifters (it somehow ended up with STX-RC)
  • Blue rear Hope ti-glide hub
  • 2 x silver X517 rims
  • 2 x LX BR-M600 v-brakes
  • Orange Flite Titanium
  • Clear old-style Crud Catcher
  • Pair of Conti Cross Country tyres

I know some of those might be hard to track down :)

The only bits I haven't decided on yet are the stem and bars, I only put the Scott bars on as a quick replacement when I cracked my Renthal bars, I think I'd rather have something British. I'm sure I could track down an Orange stem but I'm quite tempted by the idea of a Pace one instead to match the forks/front hub.

Back