36h Wheel Building

Any pictorial inspiration chaps? They will be ridden, just fancy something that looks a bit different but still works. I'm going to see hoe many different length spokes I need for crows foot all around, with 2 cross rear NDS. Maybe it won't be so bad if the radial lengths are shared across 3 sides.

CRC want £9 for 18x DT competition spokes. I guess I could buy the smaller QTY's from the LBS rather than a box.

michael franks":2d9224mc said:
jimo746 wrote:

Personally I'd go for 3x, safe, solid, reliable

I go along with that especially if the bike is a rider. I've only been building wheels for a year so I tend to go the safe and sure route although I've got a pair of rims destined for 'crow's foot' lacing. I've also rebuilt some cheap wheels that were 4x :shock:
nothing wrong with 4x, in fact the cross number is irrelevant. 3x is used with 32 hole standard MTB setups as it gives the best angle at the hub without straining over the first spoke.
Some 36hole hubs rim combos can use 4x without problems near the hub and so that technically will give the better wheel.

Be careful with radial -the pull of the spokes is outwards from the flange - and most likely to cause cracking. Shimano hubs always used to have warnings that they were not designed for radial. I've only ever done radial front on a road bike.

gtRTSdh":19akjrm6 said:
I hear what you're saying about 3 cross and radial.

I really like the look of this 3 cross crow's foot in here. Although I think it works especially well because of the large hub flange, keeping three spokes parrallel to each other.

http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/
Radial is fine, just don't do it on hubs that look like it shouldn't be dont.. e.g. Hope skinny hubs ;)
Shimano and Suntours are perfectly strong enough. It is not of course as nice a wheel as a 3x.
BUT where is the fun in just building 3x, that doesn't seem to be the point there.

Have fun, try the crows foot then at least you can say you tried it.
Spoke lenght calculation should be easy.
CRC will split their 36 spokes into different lengths, though looks like you may have noticed that already.

Why not go mad and do the cross in silver and the radial in black, :twisted:

For crows foot all on all 4 sides, 3 cross lengths, I need 262 x 36 (convenient), 248 x12, 252 x12, 258 x12 - 5 packets in total @ £45.

If I went 2 cross everywhere, I could end up with a simple order of 72 x 254's!

I find it hard to understand the need for anything other than 3x on 36 spoke wheel. It looks the best. When you are riding no one will know what spoke pattern yo have anyway. Crow's feet is a faff due tot he different spoke lengths.

You could build the wheels with Laser spokes given the spoke count. That would be nice and light and still give good stiffness.

retroyetirigid":orm88i4j said:
1 cross front, 2 cross (non drive side)/ 3 cross (drive side) rear. It's what I've done on my Yeti ;)

+1 for the above. Got my 32h M950 hubs on 217 ceramics laced that way. Been building my wheels that way since 1992. I think it might give a laterally stiffer wheel - no proof or science, just gut feel.

Never had any problems with them and it's a bit different from 3 cross front & rear.

Back