Removing anodising.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
less removed by doing it with the J cloth. Only 2 hours each arm. Did it over a few days, when watching TV when it's dark

Montello,

I am interested in this too. If you go ahead and try it, would you mind taking a few pics - before and after and few during.

Thanks,

Richard

p.s. are you going to share what this is for? Or have i missed a post somewhere!

NeilM":25m65tkd said:
Caustic soda will remove anodising, but you must do the work outside and wear some gloves and glasses.

The alloy may go black in places as the anodising comes off, but it will polish off easily.

I use caustic soda with (very) hot water. Around 2 minutes for a crankset, less for smaler parts. Rinse with fresh water and a sponge. Sand if needed , polish with polishing soap and it´s like chrome. A 30 minute job. :cool:

Attachments

• P1070763.jpg
    P1070763.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 203
And i forgot to say... be very carefull!! Outside because of the nasty gases and thick industrial gloves and eye protection. And keep fresh water around.
Caustic soda and hot water is like Alien blood, it will eat your flesh before you know it.

Mr.E":19whaqqt said:
And i forgot to say... be very carefull!! Outside because of the nasty gases and thick industrial gloves and eye protection. And keep fresh water around.
Caustic soda and hot water is like Alien blood, it will eat your flesh before you know it.

And it has the advantage of being recyclable too, as you can 'do the drains' just like my mum used to when I was a kid.

I'm assuming the active ingredient in the oven pride is caustic soda.

Back