Vast sums of money

Hi Richard....i have added a link to your DA cranks wanted thread.

Does Northern Ireland have any particular interest in religion?

sawston_vulcan":mpk7hb2t said:
Does Northern Ireland have any particular interest in religion?
'Greetings' sawston_vulcan!

Richards religion for the past three months have passed onto the Dark Side and no longer bows down to Campagnolo
But Richard has got very religious and now only believes in Shimano Dura Ace :D

Ian Raleigh: I am a total iconclast!....Italian frame [Faggin with Oria KK] and Shimano plus SRAM......i've not quite received death threats but hehe....stirred a hornets nest!

Richard: I am a historian......yes....very ironic.....many moons ago....when my eldest daughter was in nursery [she will be 29 this year]....i was at university...studying...History....her nursery teacher was a History graduate from Queens, Belfast....a good history faculty but a noted Protestant place.....she struck as a balanced historian and we had good chats till one day...i said 'The English have a major role in the troubles in Northern Ireland'......I never said just the English....i was not saying the Nationalists did not contribute towards the troubles....i am Jewish and i would not whitewash the Jewish state of Israel as being blameless in the Arab-Israeli problems.....She looked at me and said....'No!.Its those Catholics...they are the anti-Christs....they have caused all the trouble!' It was an eye opener....i expected a fellow historian to be above parochial side taking....but i was naive to have thought so perhaps..i still believe in retrospect she lacked humanity and an empathy for the 'other side'...I was open to be educated on the Loyalist point of view....religion and politics can be visceral and blind.....i learned a valuable lesson that day.....we had no more 'historical chats'......A many years later after i became a teacher...in one school a deputy head [now a head] and i were having a chat....he is from Northern ireland....and i asked him where he came from.....we got on well and he was at ease....he said 'Derry'......i smiled and said 'You must be Catholic'....for a moment he tensed up and said Londonderry.....i smiled and said 'Don't worry about it', as i was sympathetic to Nationalist demands but not to the IRA per se.....and he then talked freely about Northern Ireland....So my earlier post was quite ironic.

Leon,

I will stick to 'very ironic'!! Religion is a topic i avoid - it has caused so many problems here or perhaps i should say too many; in the past and right now (today) and i expect that this will continue until i am no longer here. It is a topic people from Norn Iron avoid - well, those with some sense. I will not carry out any discussion about it on-line either.

Two small points about your post, either Queen's has changed or i am mis-informed and in regard to Derry/Londonderry - the best option is STROKE CITY!! The clue has been mentioned in the previous sentance!!

I have emailed re the DA Stuff - thanks for the tip.

Richard

Richard...I will continue this discussion on a PM...because i am interested....i have no set view or bias.

I was always led to believe Queens was primarily Protestant.....set up in the 19th century as such but if wrong i stand corrected.

Stroke city?....You will have to explain that one to me.

Leon,

Derry/Londonderry - note that between there is a / - a stroke!!! Hence, stroke city!!!

Heading to bed, i wondered if you had heard that before - it seems not - you learn something new every day or if you're me - you learn a lot every day - and then forget it quite quickly!!!! LOL

Have a great day,

Richard

There it was me thinking it was due to people in that city consuming too much salt resulting in bleeding in the brain......see it now!

.he said 'Derry'......i smiled and said 'You must be Catholic'....for a moment he tensed up and said Londonderry..

AN OLD bricklayer friend of mine told me a tale of sites in Belfast where he worked during the troubles when sites were busy and work plentiful.. the normal ''etiquette'' at these sites was for prods to have their tea breaks , lunches, together no matter what part of the country they were from, the RC's had theirs together also but separately, the boyos from Derry, of both persuasions had theirs together. ...go figure.. but interesting to anyone who knows the craic here in the ''Black north'' as the dubliners call it. will

Back