Ugly modern bikes

my Airborne:

airborne_1_998.jpg

Right, so that Van Nicholas full-sus is OK but you don't like this Boardman?

mtbfs_pro.jpg

(You know where Van Nicholas bikes are made, right?)

That boardman looks crap. Horrid style of the tubes and colour and yuk

The Boardman looks like a low-budget copy of the VN (not saying it is, just the appearance). Although I don't like the wheels on the 2nd and 3rd VNs, either.

Also, that Airborne looks gorgeous, if a little steep geometry-wise.

I concur airborne looks lovely. Class bike. Geometry bit vertical from the front as said.

VN bikes made in their workshop in HOLLAND according to their website.

The boardman does look like a cheap imitation of the VN

ibbz":vg8aezd9 said:
The love and care taken on a bike manufactured in-house in a factory or workshop in England or America means a LOT more than mere technical ability.

Sure, taiwan and China probably have great technicians and workmen, but they're making stuff 'to order', as the workers get their wage, and large Corps give their designs and orders to be built to specifications by people who don't really care whether the order is from Trek or Specialized or Halfords. There are probably Robots which can build and make stuff as well as any Human.

I'd be willing to pay a premium for stuff made "In-House" rather than out sourced any day of the week. In fact, I do this with my clothing, boots, watches and other goods and precision instruments - as long as I am able and they are available.

So yes, Chinese welders are as good if not better than any Englishman or American, but there are probably Robots as good if not better.

Anyway this is straying from the topic.

Modern bikes, in general, are Uglier than those built ten years and more ago. :)

I've built a frame, and it isnt that hard really. I find it hard to get damp-eyed over who may or may not have wielded the magic metal-gluing stick.

IMO, the designer is a million times more important than who may have welded it together. It's the designer that determines how it rides.

When you get to the stage of someone like Ricky Feather with artful little touches, that's different - Feather is a designer/builder

cce":1kl2u58r said:
IMO, the designer is a million times more important than who may have welded it together. It's the designer that determines how it rides.

^ this. Assuming that the magic-metal-gluing-stick-wielder is competent :)

Latest posts

Back