Kona A'ha 1997

Re: Knowing me knowing you - (Kona) A'ha! (1997)

Cool project. I went full klunker with mine.

20130106_174647.jpg

20130106_174719.jpg

Gazza 3.0 front tyre and an old Brooks saddle. Shimano Deore cranks which was a hand-down from my Anthem X, mounted with the Truvativ BMX-to-Euro BB conversion kit. It`s pretty fun to ride during lazy summer days.

Thanks for sharing yours! The more the better! There's all sorts of madness going on there but I bet it's fun to ride. Is it a 20"?

The bars arrived yesterday: they are proper good!

Yeah, it`s slightly too large for me, the toptube make things pretty stretched out but I`m compensating with the stubby 24/7-stem. For surfing around on it`s pretty cool although my blue Humu fits me better. Might even sell this one.

I won't ask if you'd like to swap...yet ;)

Little update.

CK Patriot headset ordered

CK_HS_NTS_Patriot-SV_NW.jpg

White cables, nipples, tyres, bars and grips all obtained.

I'm off the LBS on Saturday to see if they'll build the wheels and check out what pedals and saddles they have.

So the LBS hate me since they have to try and build up a wheel on the rear hub to try and get the sproket / cog removed to try and get the rest of the old spokes out. Dam the previous owner who left it that way!

T-cut the frame over the weekend and it came up even nicer than before :cool:

dsc0408pe.jpg

Got the Curves on (what a pain they are) and the cock-pit sorted.

Reaaallly like these bikes, I would go with maxxis hookworm tyres (2.5" slicks) sprung brooks saddle and super swept back bars for a beach cruiser style bike. But your build sounds far more practical for what your after :LOL:

That paint :shock: :cool: :cool:

Love the headset - good luck with the build :LOL:

Oh dear. The hub is a no-go. The sprocket is un-moveable meaning we can lace it up.

I really don't want a shitty BMX far-eastern knock off so I'll have a search around on the 'bay but if anyone has any suggestions, old or new then please let me know!! I'll check out some of the build threads for info...

DM":2e3f04a0 said:
Rear ends on non-disk Humus were 110mm, 112mm, and 120mm. All are variations on old-school track or BMX spacing. My A'ha is 112mm with a perfect "track standard" 42mm chainline. This limits your rear hub choices to BMX, track or older dirt jump bikes (DJ bikes now all seem to use 135mm disk hubs). So the options are somewhat limited unless you go upmarket to Phil Wood, Campagnolo Pista, Profile BMX (drool) etc. Or put a screw-on freewheel on a narrow old road hub. Maybe Surly or On-One do one? Alternatively, go to Alans BMX: He has some old-school BMX hubs that will do the job and look the business.

So, just so I get this right, I need a rear hub with 112mm axle (and 32 hole). Indeed, the options are limited and it doesn't help my PC doesn't want to play ball with the Phil Wood site (I can't check what they have for some reason).

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SHIMANO-R ... 231b4732bf

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back