Is the spirit of Karma dead?

MRGRUMPY

Senior Retro Guru
If you sent something to someone,free of charge on here,in a karma-type deal,then this item appeared on E-bay,would you be miffed? :x :x

yes in my opinion, it destroys the spirit of these types of sites and trust in members, I also play with old land rovers and a similar mindset exists on the landy forums particularly where difficult to find parts are concerned and passed on to help with a rebuild, where the expectation is that items are not to be passed on to be sold. The one caveat would be if there was some honesty about intentions in advance or obviously a trader which sounds like is not the case in this instance, are you going to name and shame ?

If you sent it last week, poor show. If it was 2007 I'm not sure I'd be too bothered ;)

A little - I gave a big box of bits away a couple of years ago only for another member to point out that the guy had put it all on e-bay.

But, on the flip side, some members gave me a lot of very good kit when I joined - some of it was then sold via the forum to pay for bits that I needed at the time. Some of it was also given out further down the line with a fair bit is still here.

I wouldn't even think of punting it straight on (but then I am soft) - if some catastrophe occurred and I was desperate for the cash, I'd at least pm the donator with an explanation. I suppose after a year or so, you'd be forgiven for not remembering which bits were karma'd and which were bought though.

I think the principle applies for a lot of non-free items too - I've been offered bits (as a relatively recent joiner) for far less than they were actually worth. If I wanted to sell them on, I'd be loathe to ask any more for them tbh.

I have a seperate username and profile for selling stuff that I have received Karma :LOL:

i dont really..... sarcasm ;)

I have a strict rule

I only take stuff that is offered for free if I have an immediate and valid use for it.

I think that's a fair way of doing things - too many karma items end up on spares mountains

Back