vint.jpg

vint1.jpg

vint2.jpg

vint3.jpg

vint4.jpg

any ideas would be much appreciated

thanks
Neil

I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.

Robbied196":28jgtsuh said:
I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.

Look like long point Prugnat lugs - Holdsworth certainly used those.

Is there any evidence of a headbadge - i.e holes?

Roadking.

roadking":2ycqr5uw said:
Robbied196":2ycqr5uw said:

Roadking.

The listing speculates it could be a circa 1967 Holdsworth Super Mistral with a possible frame number of 4027. Some small details don't seem to look right :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111015443925? ... 1423.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Robbied196":1bh7gmaf said:
roadking":1bh7gmaf said:
Robbied196":1bh7gmaf said:

Roadking.

The listing speculates it could be a circa 1967 Holdsworth Super Mistral with a possible frame number of 4027. Some small details don't seem to look right :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111015443925? ... 1423.l2649

What details exactly?

Roadking.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
roadking":mtqla14a said:
What details exactly?

Roadking.

If you look at the 1967 Super Mistral and all the Mistral's and Super Mistral's through to 77 the headtube lugs are wrong. They should sweep round to points on both sides of the tube as can be seen in the catalogue below. Also it should have diamond reinforcements on the rear brake bridge. The forks although they have the sloping crown lack the sweeping blade curve. The frame number would be 5 digits. (edit) I've just noticed, you'll be able to check these details on your 67 Mistral :)

I'd say there are to many fundamental differences for it to be a Mistral or Super Mistral

Attachments

• Mistral_Fr71.jpg
    Mistral_Fr71.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 332
Glad to see your edit, I have checked and I believe the auction bike to be a Holdsworth - the colour is certainly a Holdsworth one.

Bear in mind Holdsworths did not always conform to catalogue specification, my own Mistral (in the family from new) does not entirely conform to catalogue and neither does my Classic.

Having had a close friend on the famiy work there (visited myself) I can confirm that if you were prepared to wait Holdsworth would build features on a catalgue bike that woud give it that"bespoke"element - I suggest this bike may be one of those.

The fundamental difference between the Mistral and Super Mistral is the fork crown, Mistrals are basically Pros with mudguard eyes - why I cannot understand why Pro's are so sought after and Mistrals the opposite!

Roadking.

P.S my Mistral has the same lugs - Prugnat long point.

Hi, just a few thoughts - the frame does have a number of questions as far as it being a standard holdsworth, the rear brake bridge is not a feature I've seen on a holdsworth, it has been custom built for bar end shifters, and I believe the Holdsworth shop didn't like putting brazon's on the frames around this period ( just something I read somewhere ). But on the other hand the wrapover stay looks pure holdsworth and if the serial number had another digit it, as stated earlier, it would place it as an early seventies mistral ( 40XXX ). Confirmation may be found on the steerer tube, as Holdsworth frame and fork serial numbers should match, and if it does have 5 digits and the first four match, it maybe a custom made holdsworth mistral. Just some thoughts. Terry

Back