Ugly modern bikes

This is my "modern" bike.

Salsa don't make it anymore so it isn't truly modern as you couldn't get one out a shop. However there are lots of good frames out there with similar build type. Lovely skinny tubes (28.6). And like others the forks kind of dominate but that is down to the forks companies make now and not the frames. If I chucked some Salsa rigid forks on it would look like a hypermoney 90's frame.

7889478812_aa7dd48421_c.jpg

Russell":3q3ytx6m said:
I put my £2k bike in the boot of my £35k car and drive to trail centres... is that acceptable to the luddites? I'm not using a £50 bike rack, i promise.

My modern bikes weigh less than my retro bikes.

Ive never 'popped a seal' or broken a hydraulic line.

One of my modern bikes is steel and has rigid forks.

All of my bikes are beautiful.

I'm so confused.

Buts not a £6k bike - theres a specific demographic out there...

At least the thread has thrown up some pretty good looking bikes regardless of opinions on the machinery.

As for ugly old machines, I offer:#

untitled_112.jpg

legrandefromage":3ahqsyvt said:
Russell":3ahqsyvt said:
I put my £2k bike in the boot of my £35k car and drive to trail centres... is that acceptable to the luddites? I'm not using a £50 bike rack, i promise.

My modern bikes weigh less than my retro bikes.

Ive never 'popped a seal' or broken a hydraulic line.

One of my modern bikes is steel and has rigid forks.

All of my bikes are beautiful.

I'm so confused.

Buts not a £6k bike - theres a specific demographic out there...

At least the thread has thrown up some pretty good looking bikes regardless of opinions on the machinery.

As for ugly old machines, I offer:#

untitled_112.jpg

That looks shit. Orange haven't ever been lead by pioneers in excellent design in my opinion.

Anyway, I think Pace make some nice bikes, I do like this Pace RC104, though still a bit umming and aahing about the front;

SIM0198-648x431.jpg

ibbz":353t8sd5 said:
That looks shit. Orange haven't ever been lead by pioneers in excellent design in my opinion.

Anyway, I think Pace make some nice bikes, I do like this Pace RC104, though still a bit umming and aahing about the front;

SIM0198-648x431.jpg

hmmm, yeah the 104 is nice with its 853 tubes, especially in black, but....its not square so is it really a Pace?

I guess not. Probably Chinese made off the shelf as most bikes are these days

The 104 was meant to be UK made, but they couldn't find anyone to make them in the numbers they wanted. Can hardly blame them for going elsewhere.

Also, "most bikes" aren't "off the shelf", not from major manufacturers anyway.

Maybe not off the shelf but more a case of "I want x, y and z, make it for me please" and voila made in some Chinese factory to order.

Like a Chinese take away.

Again, not most. Some, from smaller brands. Nothing from Specialized, Trek, Giant, Scott, Marin, Whyte, Kona et al is made like that. Unless by "x, y and z" you mean "the frames as depicted on these extremely detailed drawings that we've spent months working on". Certainly you can get frames made "takeaway" style, but that doesn't apply to most of the bikes in bike shops.

MikeD":2t3fdr7n said:
Again, not most. Some, from smaller brands. Nothing from Specialized, Trek, Giant, Scott, Marin, Whyte, Kona et al is made like that. Unless by "x, y and z" you mean "the frames as depicted on these extremely detailed drawings that we've spent months working on". Certainly you can get frames made "takeaway" style, but that doesn't apply to most of the bikes in bike shops.

So the companies listed don't order from the far east and are built in USA are they?

Back