Dropper seatpost - Which way round?

xizang

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Okay, this may sound like a daft question but which way round would this dropper be used?
It's an inline post and I'm sure the post release should be in the rear.
I've seen pics of the post fitted both ways.
Would it REALLY matter if the release faced forward. It should release easier as the cable would have one less curve.
Any thoughts?

SPS350--3.jpg

The post is very easy to strip down and clean/regrease btw :mrgreen:

I think they make a version that faces forwards. Goes under a different name though which is evading me at the moment, I have 'trail dropper' in my head for some reason.

Hmmm.. just had a look and they're no longer trading.

The cable exits from the rear of the post and you couldn't turn it round to face the front because the angle of the saddle clamp would then be wrong. And you couldn't just rotate the inner tube 180 degrees because then the locating holes would be on the wrong side for the locking pin. In other words, the relative positions of the cable exit and clamp are fixed.
I think that you'd get a better cable run with it exiting rearwards anyway - just one smooth loop and back along the top tube?

The ICE Lift V8 is basically the same post but with a different cable attachment - the cable exits downwards.

A-ha. I recognise that model of post.
I tried the other one I have with the cable facing forwards and it was fine, though I think it depends on the angle of your seat tube and how much tilt you like on your saddle. You can't rotate the inner part on this post as the locating holes are only on one side and I suspect drilling more holes in it would not be a good idea.

Also meant to say that you can adjust the tension on the lever cable via a 4mm allen bolt in the barrel of the lever. I found it needed a bit of tweaking when setting it up.

Rich

xerxes":1r2rlyz1 said:
I'm absolutely certain that the bit with the saddle clamp goes at the top. :p

So THAT'S why it wouldn't fit :LOL:

I'll just pop it in with the cable coming out of the back, for now.

Just thought I'd add that the post is really easy to strip and re-build. When I received it off wynne (Rich), I gave it a strip-clean-regrease- rebuild in approx 20 minutes. Could be done in 10-15 minutes but as it was the first time doing it I took it slowly.
It didn't need it, it's just that I had some spare time and did it.

Back