• Mk2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1 and NOS Mk2 beginnin

coomber":334xi1dl said:
02gf74":334xi1dl said:
reanimation":334xi1dl said:
Mk1=6.8lbs Mk2=6.9lbs

wow, :shock: that is heavy - modern XC carbon fibre frames are weighing in at under 1 kg, or 2.2 lb old money.

True, but not for same purpose? Wouldn't take this to a XC race!

nope, I get ya though It sounds heavy, specially since this isn't the plain gauge BMX BB version, my old Last Rufus was equally heavy, but rides so much lighter than the numbers. What is comparable when you compare it to mine or MindMaps Cotic Bfe, I wouldn't like to comment on which frame is toughest but there's a pound and half difference, strangely, if anything, this has made me think about getting some lighter forks and wheels on my Bfe as this rides lighter!! Seems to anyway...

If you sell the bombers from your BFe, can I have dibs?

I think my BFe feels lighter than the Tazer did, despite being the same components. I've not ridden it in anger yet, so can't comment on how it rides (hoping to get back on the mountain bikes when my half marathon is out of the way). I think it's true that a heavy bike can feel light to ride with the right tubing, geometry etc. Although I also think that this weight will always catch up with you on a longer ride.

That looks ace! If u ever want / need rid of your bullit. I'll gladly take it off you. We've got the prototype bullit hanging up at work (stif) I'd love to do a full resto on one.

Mindmap3":2pk51c2s said:
I think it's true that a heavy bike can feel light to ride with the right tubing, geometry etc. Although I also think that this weight will always catch up with you on a longer ride.

That's most likely how it works. I agree, well put. Bike enthusiasts and armchair number obsessives try and make sense of the sciences but testing trying and fathoming seems to be the only way for real. :) :cool: Maybe good frames flow better so a quality steel doesnt jar and show it's weight at every stroke and bump, maybe,,.. :D

Thanks Albash, yeah I actually bought the Bombers when I was planning to build the Bullit, at 150 they are a bit short for it with 7" out back but hoped if I could make the rear 6" or sag like 6" then it'll still be more bike than I need! I'm still curious to try it TBH, after using the Bfe and my other HT's in anger a bit more. I might swap the pits onto teh old Bulley and see how I get on with testing. I'm still sort of convinced I wont like it but agter seeing the Hebden Bridge Full sussed lads at 'full throttle' the other weekend it's whet my apetite a bit more.
Dibs noted if sales come up. :) Stif is great and i've added em on Facebook. I went to the new shop last year to get a new hoodie, shop's not as big as I'd expected but I think thats' cos the old one was like a discovery cave! And this one is a big square room. :cool:

Your BFe definitely needs lighter forks...because I need your Z1's! I had the chance to buy a set a while ago and passed it up. Kicking myself now.

I think feel in a frame counts for quite a lot...I swapped a sorted Big Hit for a Demo 9 which was the better bike, but I didn't bond with it like I did with the Big Hit (despite the stupid rear wheel).

Yep I think the 24" wheel thing really is marmite or an aquired taste or something. Yep how you get on with it matters.
Hmm yeah, I've not even set up the Z1's yet, I thought they were mega long which they are for 'just riding along' but with those technical descent sessions they soon absorbed the weight and big rocks and got lower. need a decent flowing ride to dial them and get a feel.

Back on the job!
I almost gave up for this year due to many compatibility issues and old parts. I decided to use my spare diatech brakes to get things going, I was going to use a smaller disk mount to fit the 165 hope disc but helpful friendly chap Liam1611 put me in touch with a 185 Hope disc! Thanks chap. Screwed that on and a few washers to space the mount up and I've just about got two matching ( black and white) Anchors. They need servicing though and I don't think I'll stick with em. Maybe recon the Hopes, or use the cable guides and go V's argh!

Been really busy but got chance to apply a few zip ties and shake down on my Local trails...
1240103_10151579890075706_1862591596_n.jpg

Can you see that pic?

Well first thing I noticed was how unfit I have become! :facepalm: :LOL:
After that, I realised my bad back had not made a super recovery just yet too.
The low front end didn't help. Making the forks 120mm again might help there and add a little preload.
What else? It's heavy, no attempt to save weight on this, including a 500g DH inner tube up front, which is also a D321! And annoyingly has something loose in it, dinging about. :?: :roll: The fork axle tensioner needs renewing or re shaping to take an Allen key again. Oops. Hmm what else, it's a little short, my knees hit the bar some times, the bar at old skool 700mm now feels slim after getting used to 750's on my Bfe that surprised me! Rear end needs a tensioner or better skewer fitting.

So overall it needs a few tweaks, and a diet! it's not a fair test at all though, I seem to prefer my lighter Rhythm build but it's built better and I was fitter earlier this year!! It's the only MTB I can reach at the moment so it might get another test soon...
Dunno what to do with it next, and if I really need 2! :LOL:
Any comments?

Can see the pics!

Funny, I was only reading this on friday night. Good time for an update. I really fancy a bike like this but they vary so much in selling price its crazy. Seen nice full bikes go for a ton and frames from £20-130!

It looks ace as it is. I'd take a weight penalty for the wheels. I would use decent inners too to avoid pinch flats on a bike like this. Id get it rideable and iron the minor details out and go from there. Buy some new bars if thats what you are now used yo. Takes some going back to smaller once ypu get used to super wide!

:D

Thanks that's all wise advice.
I have some Funn 750 bars from CRC sale...
Current are Gusset 4cross from 2004

You're right the prices vary, rarely expensive but sometimes battered, just get a good one, I got lucky with these two, te rhythms were more abused. £50 to 70 should get a good used frame. Bikes depend on build and condition.

It's a real genre straddler this. It's 'modern' but old, I think when I started (with the red new frame - wasn't looking for a new one initially) I was just building a cheap fun DMR just because! Now it's sort of become a sort of retro bike! I think it will be retro but not afraid of some hard trails.
also genre straddling is it having mod cons but being retro it could go on retro rides out, but I don't fancy chasing whippets on 24 speed XC bikes on this SS iron beast! Haha.
When things return to normal here (long story) will get this and the Rhythm out side by side, maybe this and the Bfe side by side too. Get it and me screwed together well and give it some! :D

Oh also the gearing is a bit hard, 40:18 I think so will look at that too...

40:18! Im unfit pre and post knee op but that would kill me!

I like all your builds. It was this on friday that made me think yeah thats the way to go for a play bike.

Back