Garage wall bracket for locking bikes to...

wookiee":2l1uk087 said:
So ok being a dufus...but what stops the bolts being undone once its bolted down?

On this model , the outer is toughened plastic,you lift this off to revel the metal bracket. This is bolted to the wall/floor with raw bolts and supplied are some ball bearings and caps which you hammer in to prevent them being able to be removed. Very nice bit of kit

The weak point(s) is surely the lock and chain, not the anchor? I use the Oxford anchors I fixed to the brick walls when I had m'cycles in the garage and the same big chains and padlocks (which weigh almost as much as the pedallers now in there), but a pro would get through them. Just that cycle thieves tend to go less well equipped than those after V twins.

When I had PTWs I did not take them into the garage if there was anyone in the street who I didn't know - and left the front of the garage looking unused for vehicles.

A chap I know had his bikes locked to an immovable plate on his garage wall, the monkeys didnt attack the lock but cut out the wall instead leaving him with no bikes and a totally knackered garage. I would always go with the floor myself.

I have a couple of these, gold standard chain locks, though not infallible, but will slow thieves down.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 160
"I would always go with the floor myself."

Seconded - just that I couln't get get a drill into the solid rock that lies beneath the thin concrete!

Ground anchors are good. I have mine fastened down with the break type security bolts, just type in "ground anchor bolts" into eBay, they are about £4.

The most important bit is the lock and chain, I use the locks and chains from

http://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php

They are impressive bits of kit and the service is great. I use the 16mm chain and squire lock, no one is getting through that. If someone really wants my bikes they will probably just mug me .....

The reason for using this lock is most of the big brands lock and chains are cropable in under 30 secs even the gold standard sold secure ones. If you watch the link below you may feel like I did. I have probably £5000 worth of bikes so spending £200 on locks and chains seems like a good idea.

I know we are insured, try getting bike cover on your home insurance after you have made a claim, not likely. You then end up paying or separate insurance that as a rule of thumb is £10 per month or every £1000 you insure depending on area etc. Most of you have bikes that cannot be replaced by going to a shop so we have to take security more importantly.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf35C7wu6 ... pf35C7wu6Q

Unfortunately, if expensive components - admittedly more the case with modern sussers - then a hacksaw will yield the easily saleable bits whatever the anchor, lock and chain!

oldave":2nitzpnt said:
Unfortunately, if expensive components - admittedly more the case with modern sussers - then a hacksaw will yield the easily saleable bits whatever the anchor, lock and chain!

Maybe I can keep them in the bedroom? Yeah right!

Couldn't get it up the stairs, but many years ago I did keep my motor cycle in our front downstairs living room. Probably why herself has never since complained about my bike stuff creeping into the house...

Back