tips on removing seized chainring bolts?

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Any tips please? I don't have the correct tool with the lugs to fit the back of the bolt. Nor do I have a screwdriver that's big enough or a drill to break it out

Cheers sean

gtRTSdh":1o28qn3s said:
the proper tool is pennies. . . Just search the bay

i agree......the ease of completing a job well with the right kit, and the knowledge its there for the 'next time' is remembered long after the cost is forgotten...... :D

if it is seazed then lube it up, allenkey in the hole to hold it still, smaller screwdriver and tap it around d with a hammer. I often find the 'tool' is not so good when they are seized and I have the screwdriver and angled versions.

... then get the dremel and drill out.

penetrating flud to hopefully unseize the bolts but generally what happens is that the bolts psins instead of unscrewing .... so put in an allen key or torx, depending on the head type and give it a bash with a mallet - the sudden force can udually break the stiction.

if the fails, I made my own tool by filing out a 2 pring slot to engage in the rear of the bolt from a piece of thin steel - it did the job but got bent in the process since it was not hardened.

a cheap flat blade screwdriver filed or gount to shape should do the job.

Back