Tubs or clinchers?

Re tubular/clincher, bad points of both types rolled into one!

Heaver rim and difficult to repair, or in the case of Tufo, impossible to repair. By repair I mean opening up and patching the inner tube, not squirting some horrible gunk inside.

Just as an addition to this thread, what do people do in regard to punctures when riding out on tubs? during the summer I ride a quick 20 miles before work which to date has been on my modern bike with clinchers - I carry spare tubes so a simple solution if I puncture. I really want to take some of my older bikes out on this ride but daren't in case I flat and am therefore late for work. I've heard about this horrible gunk - seems to be a solution if it gets you back on the road quickly?? anyone know a product that's decent and works ok?? also anyone know somewhere to get tubs repaired??

You carry a spare tub, as it's not convenient to repair a tub at the roadside.

I've never used any tyre sealant, but I've read that the stuff can cause problems long term, especially with latex inner tubes.

bigpantswheels":2kyf9pwj said:
Check out Tufonorthamerica.com, they are based out of Canada and they still make the tubular/clincher for about $80 Canadian money, whatever that is. I think they are made in eastern Europe somewhere and Ribble in the UK used to carry them at one time.
Clement made a similar tyre in the 80's but it never caught on.

tubs ALL the way!! a nice set of mavic gp4 rims with vittoria rallye or continental giro
tubulars. great ride for not a lot of money.

"clinchers" suck the golden egg and i wouldn't ride them as you'll find they
are puncture central!

:shock:

rusty bodie":3ps0uzkr said:
tubs ALL the way!! a nice set of mavic gp4 rims with vittoria rallye or continental giro
tubulars. great ride for not a lot of money.

"clinchers" suck the golden egg and i wouldn't ride them as you'll find they
are puncture central!

:shock:

Right... erm, pretty unequivocal response then :shock:

Old Ned":xksegw0j said:
bigpantswheels":xksegw0j said:
Check out Tufonorthamerica.com, they are based out of Canada and they still make the tubular/clincher for about $80 Canadian money, whatever that is. I think they are made in eastern Europe somewhere and Ribble in the UK used to carry them at one time.

Tufos always intrigued me, but apparently suppleness isn't their strong suit as the whole tube/casing assembly is vulcanised as one (hence the sealant, since they can't be unpicked, repaired and sewn). The damning comment "they're like riding plywood" overheard at a London League CX event finally did it for me.

Next season I'm on Panaracer 30mm knobbly clinchers, bought new off eBay from a guy in Portugal for only 30 quid the pair. :) No wheels to put them on as yet though!

David

Old Ned":146j6l5s said:
bigpantswheels":146j6l5s said:

what was that thing called - was it a clement solo? all black thing that was murder to fit on a G40 rim?!

:evil:

Latest posts

Back