NWA regional ride: Gisburn Forest ~ AFTERMATH

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Great weather and another great ride for most of us today.
A few ride ending mechanicals though and a few not quite so serious crashes too.

I'll sort out my photos once I've chipped the mud off my bike and legs.
More to follow I'm sure...

Thanks fellas, that was a cracking day. If there's one thing I like on new fangled bikes, it's threadless headsets, as usual for me my threaded headset developed a bit of play. Maybe I need to use the front brake less.
Sorry I couldn't stay for the 'Bistro', my sheep have an annoying habit of getting rigged so late in pregnancy.

It was a nice day, had a few problems.
Cycling jacket zip broke on the way there, later fork crown cracked so decided to ride at a slow pace back on my own, got a pinch flat but puncture repair glue had dried up in the tube, luckily had another tube, inflated it with an air cartridge but forgot how cold they get and it was stuck to my glove for quite some time. Then got lost and ended up riding half the course with broken forks.
A good day though. My BSO actually was quite good to ride.

Only picture I took:

1361136563800.jpg

Well what started off as a glorious morning soon turned into a double disaster for me and Chris(rampage^), with chris's crown cracking I found that the half built bike I finished had a larger problem than just the loose crank arm (they was loose for a reason but i had forgot), after descending down a long hill on one foot to meet everyone at the bottom and borrow someones very cool tool martin noticed (thankfully) that the non drive side arm was now contacting the chainstay, damn it on such a stunning day too, after a lot of amusing comments I asked to be left behind to curl up in a ball and hide with embarrassment, my mate Karl stayed back to so we pushed up hully gully and blasted down that again (didn't need to pedal) and then navigated our way back over to the start,
fish chips and sunshine and an hour later we decide to pack up and get on our way when the riders re appear at the pub, a few goodbyes and of home for us.
really gutted about this seems the quick crank change proved a serious problem learning that the 68mm bb wont work in a 73mm shell :facepalm:
oh well we will be back up there next weekend to try a salvage the ride we had to cut short,
It was my first time there too and what a stunning place.
hope everyone had a good ride and see you all soon,
Lee. :oops:

Sounds like an eventful day! Always guttering to have to cut a ride short, feel especially bad for Lee after a couple of superb trail fixes on other people's bikes recently! At least you noticed before it damaged that glorious paintwork.

Got a few 73mm BBs I'd be very happy to swap for a 68mm! ;)

Great days riding that was, really enjoyed it :D

Stiff as a board today but well worth it, very technical in places, lots of sweeping downhills, fast twisting singletrack, fire roads, plenty of climbing and, of course, Hully Gully was a blast :D

Here are some of my pics of the day:

At the start........ but within 5 minutes of this photo being taken virtually everbody had crashed on some icy logs.. :oops:... Not the best of beginnings to a ride, I had gashed my knee/shin and was up to my ankles in water pretty much straight away!! :facepalm: :LOL:

img0233xj.jpg

Nice scenery on a lovely day:

img0235am.jpg

Mechanical of the day No. 1 - dodgy Italian forks, eh?!

img0238qt.jpg

Mechanical of the day No.2 - mrlee and his narrow BB....

img0239lg.jpg

Cool Tool to the rescue:

img0240lv.jpg

Everybody survived Hully Gully with bones intact, here we are at the bottom of it:

img0241de.jpg

img0243gx.jpg

Quick rest about two-thirds of the way round I think judging by the sign post:

img0244kj.jpg

Harry Crumb getting the best photo angle:

img0247ecj.jpg

I'm off to wash my bike now......Cheers.. :D

Matty

Great to see everyone, and perfect weather, shame about the couple of bike mechanicals, and the wooden boarding coated in ice was hideous

anyway a few pics from me, the only four I managed to have the settings right for ish :facepalm:

P1010176_zps48f09a8b.jpg

P1010178_zps6ea4707d.jpg

P1010184_zps7168eb06.jpg

P1010197_zps3ae1cf38.jpg

Looks and sounds like an eventful day! Wanted to attend this one but family commitments prevented me getting the old alpinestars back out on the trails. Nice to see so many retrobikers old and new enjoying the events, hope to get out riding with you all soon.

sinnett177":1sxwwe4y said:
Looks and sounds like an eventful day! Wanted to attend this one but family commitments prevented me getting the old alpinestars back out on the trails. Nice to see so many retrobikers old and new enjoying the events, hope to get out riding with you all soon.

Well this is good news, you've been missed mate! Keep thinking of getting out to support you on the MX; how's it going?

elPedro666":1higqdjj said:
sinnett177":1higqdjj said:

Well this is good news, you've been missed mate! Keep thinking of getting out to support you on the MX; how's it going?
Just about keeping the wire tight Pete, struggling for pace and bike fitness, but really enjoying it.

Attachments

• 317531_3372201117638_191443768_n.jpg
    317531_3372201117638_191443768_n.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 1,825
Back