PAYE Tax help please!

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I was wondering whether anybody would be able to shed any light on this for me.

My girlfriend was promoted a couple of months ago. She has just received her third payslip for the new post, and her PAYE has gone up massively, from about £150 in the previous 2 months to about £295 this month :shock:

Her tax code (810L Cumulative) has remained the same, as have her NI contributions, pension etc.

Does anyone know why her PAYE might have almost doubled..?!!? She has had no communication from HMRC to say that she owes them money and the payroll department for her employer (Cardiff and Vale University Health Board) have just said that it's because of "the new tax codes"... That makes no sense to us as her tax code has not changed?!

If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it :D

has she contacted her hr department? the promotion may have seen a change in her tax/wage status and possibly hr have made a mistake and entered her tax code wrongly?

sylus":288qoi3p said:
has she contacted her hr department? the promotion may have seen a change in her tax/wage status and possibly hr have made a mistake and entered her tax code wrongly?

My thinking was that they might have put her on an emergency tax code, but I've checked with her and it's the same tax code as me, and has been since April! I also work for Cardiff and Vale UHB and my tax hasn't changed at all, which is leading me to believe that it's another HR/Payroll balls up as you mention.

She's on the phone to them as we speak :)

tax year is april to april
her payments would have been calculated on her previous salary
pay rise means amount earned over year will be more than predicted meaning higher payments

If her tax code hasn't changed, and is still a cumulative code, this is not the reason for the increase.

I suspect a fair bit of a pay rise ? It may be that most of her pay was previously covered by allowances, it can be a shock when a big chunk of pay has no allowances, and will ALL be taxed.

For example ...........ALLOWANCES PER WEEK = 155, PAY PER WEEK 170 TAX = 15 X 20% = 3
PAY PER WEEK 250 TAX = 80 X 20% = 16

Could this be it ? :?

PS. Bigmick, thats not how PAYE works..............

If it helps, her TAKE HOME pay has gone up by about £200 per month. Or at least it had until this month when they took an extra £145 tax!!

There are no allowances (before or after the promotion) to account for the difference either :? - She has simply stepped up from a "Band 3" to a "Band 4" on the payscale..

I asked about the hr because if they have adjusted it before financial year end... have they then retro graded her pay at the higher rate not for what comes to you but what is owed to the tax man

Obviously if this is the case then she doesn't owe the tax man retrospect but hr may have cocked a boo boo and as such should be easily resolved

If her tax code had changed then she should have been notified of that by HMRC when her employers were. I got two notifications of two new tax codes in the same envelope about a week ago - in fact the notification to me came a day or two before the notification to my employer (also me with a different hat on :) )

Back