Chains for 70s/80s projects

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,
I have a few build projects on the go, all from the 70s and 80s. My question is, what do you guys typically use for chains for rebuilds from this period? For the most part the groupset components are easy enough to select for a given build, but the finishing kit can be trickier.

Do you scour the web looking for NOS Sedis etc? Or do you use modern equivalents? I took a quick look at the KMC website and the Z8S looks pretty good for a half-nickel chain, and is widely available for pretty competitive prices online, rarely more than a tenner anywhere. It also looks the part for a 5, 6 or 7-speed rebuild, with plain unsculpted plates. Then slightly higher up the range there's the X8.99 which is all silver and probably a bit better for an 8-speed rebuild with indexed shifting.

So, for say an early 80s 6-speed project with down tube friction shifters, would a more modern chain like the Z8S be a no-no? And if it's no good, what should I be looking for?

Cheers,
Gareth.

I replaced the Chain on my 70's Carlton fitted with 80's shimano 600 5 speed with a KMC narrow on the advice of the LBS and it worked a treat - took a lot of stick on muddy wet tow paths and took it in it's stride no problem - cheers Bill

i'm using the KMC Z8S on a 14 speed 1982 raleigh 531 competition (with SR super custom cranks, shimano cassette, and original campag GS mechs & friction shifters) - again this was on the recommendation of the LBS, and it works fine.

also I use shimano HG50 chains on my late 80's raleigh road bikes with shimano gears/ index shifters and they work fine. i prefer the KMC because its a bit lighter and looks better with the nickel plating, and i think the KMC feels smoother than the shimano chains.

i'd be interested to know if the KMC 9-speed chain would work ok on these retro bikes, or any modern lighter chains with hollow bits etc?

i

I use KMC and Taya on 6spd non indexed builds and they are fine. Nickel plated for a bit of dry weather bling

I had a Wipperman 9spd chain running for a couple of years too, forgot it was on there, assumed it was an older 7spd width and ran it on a big old 6spd block...

I usually use Sram.

Sachs bought Sedis, then Sram bought Sachs so there the closest thing to a Sedis :LOL:

Robbied196":24om8qu3 said:
I usually use Sram.

Sachs bought Sedis, then Sram bought Sachs so there the closest thing to a Sedis :LOL:

The quality seems to have dipped since the SRAM takeover. For a retro build using 8sp on the back or less, Wippermann every time (808/800 for 8sp, 700 for everything else) for me.

David

Back