Morrissey wasn't the only twat in the Smiths...

ajm":36kdfvb4 said:
I have always found the Smiths unbearable to listen to. Dingy, dismal dirges without any kind of redeeming merit, sung badly.

couldn't have put it any better.

and as far as the politics goes, how pathetic that someone says they like something and the band member says they can't, what a prat, regardless of the bloke they don't like being the PM.

it always seems to be considered uncool to say you're a tory, well for the record i don't think he's any better or worse than any other previous PM. that said, hated Brown! and blair, such a man of the people with his millions of pounds mep salary and private school for his kids :roll:

there's the grenade then, make of that what you will! :LOL:

highlandsflyer":9bti6q8s said:
Marr is one of the greatest musicians to have walked the earth, and was in one of the most iconic bands of all time. If anyone's achievements merit a swollen head Marr's do.

He knows he cannot personally select his fans. He says as much if anyone cares to put things in context.

That leaves his remarks as clear irony, and arrogance is never ironic.

Hear, hear

Despite the significant Rickenbacker content, I have always found the Smiths unbearable to listen to. Dingy, dismal dirges without any kind of redeeming merit, sung badly.

I have never understood why people do not 'get' The Smiths, I can only imagine they have never listened to the music, really listened that is

Hey people slagging the Smiths off....only about 30 years too late.

Mr Cameron is a dirty Tory scumbag, fact.

Mr Marr isn't, fact.

Where's the news story?

The Smiths are the best Manchester band followed by... Joy Division, Stone Roses and the Chameleons.

al. :D

Bit of a non story really. Suspect it may have something to do with Mr Marr's new album which is out in all good record shops on the 25th of this month.

Agree the Smiths weren't up to much. They certainly aren't in the same league as musical geniuses like 5ive and Whigfield.

Harryburgundy":1zr3l4se said:
highlandsflyer":1zr3l4se said:
Marr is one of the greatest musicians to have walked the earth, and was in one of the most iconic bands of all time. If anyone's achievements merit a swollen head Marr's do.

He knows he cannot personally select his fans. He says as much if anyone cares to put things in context.

That leaves his remarks as clear irony, and arrogance is never ironic.

Hear, hear

Despite the significant Rickenbacker content, I have always found the Smiths unbearable to listen to. Dingy, dismal dirges without any kind of redeeming merit, sung badly.

I have never understood why people do not 'get' The Smiths, I can only imagine they have never listened to the music, really listened that is

To be honest I loved the Smiths back in the late 80's but to be honest now I find the ridiculous views of ageing pop starts detract from their earlier work.
In this I mean when they first burst on the scene and they were skint,jobless full of passion fire etc their music had meaning but as with everyone they spout the same stuff 30 years later when they are living in a nice house with nice cars whilst moaning about the very system that gave them these things and most of them (not all mind) have done feck all to try and change the system that they were so against.

I personally find Morrisey a bit of a cock lately and wish he would just go and find himself in Nepal for the next 20-30 years.

al":2gkt7x4m said:
Hey people slagging the Smiths off....only about 30 years too late.

Where's the news story?

The Smiths are the best Manchester band followed by... Joy Division, Stone Roses and the Chameleons.

al. :D

;D

Harryburgundy":207abcvi said:

Likewise. Their stuff really does warrant a "proper" listen, contrary to the miserable image there is a fair bit of humour in there, quite surreal at times too (e.g. the throwaway "I left my bag in Newport Pagnell" line in Is It Really So Strange?, as well as Morrissey taking the mick out of himself at one point during The Queen Is Dead).

Edit: the only real dud in my Smiths collection is Golden Lights on Louder Than Bombs, which sticks out like a sore thumb and always gets skipped. Mind you, it's a cover rather than a Marr/Morrissey effort; pointless pub quiz fact for the telly addicts - Fay Ripley's auntie did the original.

David

Back