BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to ask then I would suggest it's not a restoration and probably best not to enter..I suspect apart from those who like to argue for arguing sake..most of us DO know the difference and have the intelligence and manners to apply or not

sylus":2p6spt5a said:
If you have to ask then I would suggest it's not a restoration and probably best not to enter..I suspect apart from those who like to argue for arguing sake..most of us DO know the difference and have the intelligence and manners to apply or not

No need to be nasty about it. :(

I know what I define as a restoration I was politely asking what your point of view was but nevermind.

From page 1, post 1;

This month is a Special Month, the theme being 'Restoration Special'. Each nomination must include two images, the first showing the bike before restoration and the second after. So just to make things really clear not only are you voting for the finished product but also the restoration work which has been put into the bike.

Congrats Mods on another poorly defined idea which is certain to cause stress and disagreements.

What the f**k is a restoration? Not that It matters anyway. Since Stan's Koski was entered, no amount of hard work or creativity could win.

Same old, same old, old school rigid bike loyalists who think MTB died the day suspension was invented.

If you live in the past...you get left behind(and past on the trail).

/end rant. Sorry

Personally, I class a restoration as returning a bike in poor and/or incomplete condition to as near its original state, including paint and component spec, as possible. Like, for instance, the Cinder Cone above (other examples are available). Build threads are important, as you might differentiate between someone buying all the NOS stuff they need straight away, and someone waiting patiently over months for the right parts to come up 2nd-hand.
Yes, the Koski's a great example, and a true piece of history, but it's not my cup of tea. Likewise, as much as I dearly love the Elgin, it's not really a resto, imho.

Ultimately, if you don't think a bike fits the criteria as you define it, just don't vote for it.

trail_head":2lopcug1 said:
Congrats Mods on another poorly defined idea which is certain to cause stress and disagreements.

What the f**k is a restoration? Not that It matters anyway. Since Stan's Koski was entered, no amount of hard work or creativity could win.

Same old, same old, old school rigid bike loyalists who think MTB died the day suspension was invented.

/end rant. Sorry

I think it was a good idea and its fine that people have different ideas about what a constitutes a restoration.

As far as that, "Same old, old school rigid bike loyalists" bit is concerned, well...um..this is RetroBike after all. I mean it's in the title.

Lastly, to the "If you live in the past you get left behind on the trail" comment: I challenge you to a duel, my steely against whatever you got...
In the words of Roger Waters: "you choose the place and I'll choose the time, and I'll climb that hill in my own way..."
Kind of profound if you think about it.

Steven

Perhaps the biggest mistake made was that the management thinking members would have enough common sense to tell the difference between a refurb and a restoration

but more importantly that members would act in a way that reminded themselves this was supposed to be just a bit of fun

something some seem to have forgotten why most of us attend this forum :facepalm:

lewisfoto":zp8yvjw9 said:
trail_head":zp8yvjw9 said:

/end rant. Sorry

I think it was a good idea and its fine that people have different ideas about what a constitutes a restoration.

As far as that, "Same old, old school rigid bike loyalists" bit is concerned, well...um..this is RetroBike after all. I mean it's in the title.

Lastly, to the "If you live in the past you get left behind on the trail" comment: I challenge you to a dual, my steely against what ever you got...
In the words of Roger Waters: "you choose the place and I'll choose the time, and I'll climb that hill in my own way..."
Kind of profound if you think about it.

Steven

I agree this is Retrobike but, surely I'm not the only one who has noticed a bias towards rigids in the <98 section?

I'd love to settle this on the trail! Sadly, you live a little ways from my usual riding spots. If you're ever headed up this way drop me a line! I'll lend you a bike to beat me on!

Ps Roger Waters is a notorious douchebag, you might want to read a bit about his politics before aligning yourself with him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back