Ugly modern bikes

I reckon that a matt black suspension fork, nice light 160mm rotors, and black silver or grey rims without graphics would give a nice balance between modern features and tasteful looks.

Regards

Comon Guys!

I think we can do much better!

Is it really that the only new thing we come up with and accept is steel hardtail?? :facepalm:

(dont get me wrong. i like that Cotic, but its so traditional, that there is nothing to talk about imo)

Those not accepting anything beyond steel (rigid) hardtail should really watch more Richard Dawkins documentaries to learn more about fundamental principles of evolution (evolution of anything really) :LOL:

Although i agree with general motion that todays bikes r ugly, at the same time there IS good stuff out there.

Here are some examples of modern bikes from RB-hated categories (AM FS bike, Carbon FS bike, 29er) which i think are good and which our retro hearts shouldnt have to be ashamed of.

All the examples show originality, design taste and most of them respect to own heritage.

help me with some more :)

Attachments

• 01_1.jpg
    01_1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 511
  • 49-argon-am-233r9955.jpg
    49-argon-am-233r9955.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 49-argon-am-233r9978.jpg
    49-argon-am-233r9978.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Turner5SpotStock1.jpg
    Turner5SpotStock1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 511
  • sd.php.jpeg
    sd.php.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 511
  • MG_8190.jpg
    MG_8190.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 511
  • Ti-Deluxe_Lefty_900px-7.jpg
    Ti-Deluxe_Lefty_900px-7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 511
  • Ti-Deluxe_Lefty_900px-1.jpg
    Ti-Deluxe_Lefty_900px-1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 511
Nice one for putting in the effort to research more than most of us!

That Turner is one of the nicest FS bikes I've seen. On the phone at the moment, so limited search facilities - is it a 29er? I'm 5' 8", so all of my bikes already look like 29ers! Anyone got any pictures of 29ers in my size - about 16"-17" in a conventional frame.

Regards

2816643215_355ffc5cbe.jpg

I'm sorry but this knocks spots off most oldschool suspension designs for aesthetics. It has a lovely purity about it.

Vile on all counts there :) especially the red white one. Yuk.

And I think old Skool marins have nicer lines than the last one though, unfortunately the front end spoils it, purposely designed to accommodate huge mutha forks . as modern or any full sus go its very very nice! Well spotted cheers as it is far nicer elegant and cleaner than the bikes above it- no offence to anyone who owns either pls

ibbz":1812pgiq said:
Just go into Halfords and look at their selection of Boardman ATB's.
They have got to be the nastiest pile of cak I have ever seen. (relatively speaking)

Which Boardmans are you looking at? Not much wrong with this:

mtbht_race.jpg

The FS is hardly ugly, either:

mtbfs_pro.jpg

ibbz":29yl9iaf said:
I prefer the Litespeed.

The Litespeed appears to have the same forks (except with slightly less travel). Also it appears to have been ridden at speed into an unyielding object ;)

Is it physically possible to buy a non 'suspension corrected' frame and rigid forks anymore? Or has everyone been so brain washed?

Genesis Fortitude - granted it's a 29er but it's rigid-specific.

Clicky

fortitude-race-angled.jpg

For those of you saying that modern bikes are designed to be ugly - nope, they're designed to do a job. Designed by people with a lot more engineering qualifications than you. But by all means, if you know how to design a better bike, you crack on... ;)

Oh, and I love retro btw, but I also love modern stuff. How does anything modern look any worse than:
BD%201993%20Mountain%20Cycles%20San%20Andreas%20After%20Shock%20270.jpg

(which I also love)

Latest posts

Back