Ugly modern bikes

Just go into Halfords and look at their selection of Boardman ATB's.
They have got to be the nastiest pile of cak I have ever seen. (relatively speaking)

And 29'ers, sorry, like riding a Penny Farthing with two Pennies and no Farthing.

Seems as if many of us may have been mistaken!!

Just looking at some Wiki entries of Bicycles, and came across this;

Safety_bicycle_1887.jpg

Whippet_Safety_Bicycle.jpg

Seems Cycle design has come full circle, surprisingly shaped like a 21st Century MTB!!

I agree with a lot of what has been said about heavy frame sections and excessive hydro-forming, but there are still nice looking bikes around, albeit from the smaller manufacturers. Here are a couple that come to mind:

Cotic Soul. If you don't like suspension forks, fine, stick on some rigids.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul

Genesis Core. A nice example of a relatively elegant alloy frame.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mou ... e/core-100

Regards

bright_orange.jpg

It's the front end again... Dominates it, kills the rest of the bike. Is that what bikes are all about? The front end?
Sure, one can change the forks, and the frame itself is rather nice, but is designed to look insignificant compared to the front.

I prefer the Litespeed.

ibbz":503x22fi said:
It's the front end again... Dominates it, kills the rest of the bike. Is that what bikes are all about? The front end?
Sure, one can change the forks, and the frame itself is rather nice, but is designed to look insignificant compared to the front.

I prefer the Litespeed.
Well I suppose you could substitute in an oversized hydroformed frame, and then your eye wouldn't be drawn to the forks ;). Taking it as a given that suspension forks are a good thing, I think that particular Cotic would benefit from a matt black fork which would be more subtle. The Litespeed is a larger frame size, which helps with the relative proportions.

Regards

The Cotic is a nice bike, no doubt! :) The frame that is. In fact, as modern bikes go it's lovely!!

ibbz":2ynu2ly3 said:
The Cotic is a nice bike, no doubt! :) The frame that is. In fact, as modern bikes go it's lovely!!
Yeah, I'd love one. There have been a few nice examples on this forum - here are a couple, the second of which has quite a retro look about it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=96716
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=210846

One of those in orange would be a great home for these forks which I recently purchased in a cheeky deal outside eBay. I accept that these won't be to everyone's taste ;) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magura-Durin- ... true&rt=nc

Regards

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Exeter Man":vkn7pxj9 said:
ibbz":vkn7pxj9 said:
Yeah, I'd love one. There have been a few nice examples on this forum - here are a couple, the second of which has quite a retro look about it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=96716
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=210846

One of those in orange would be a great home for these forks which I recently purchased in a cheeky deal outside eBay. I accept that these won't be to everyone's taste ;) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magura-Durin- ... true&rt=nc

Regards

Lovely bikes, especially the black one! The frame is kind of, well, classic in shape.

I suppose on the original pic above the wheel graphics, huge forks and discs and loud graphics all over over power an elegant and lovely frame.

I do like the Orange tango forks! I wonder how this bike would look with a set of plain rigid forks? and plainer wheel set and rim brakes?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back