Excel IT Whizzkids here?

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm kind of thinking of getting a Chromebook, as for what I use most of the time it will be ideal. I'm a Mac user mainly, but use a PC laptop at work due to the incoming software they are looking to move to. Most of our documents are on dropbox. So, I'm wondering, can I access dropbox in the Chrome OS (I think I can) but more importantly be able to use, edit & save down to dropbox Excel files? I know Chromebooks do not work like a desktop/laptop...

I'm pretty sure that will depend if you have excel on the laptop, as opposed to any dropbox or OS issues. I use dropbox a lot for lots of different files and as long as you have the program to open the file, you'll be fine.

Memory serves me right, you'll need to be always online. So some sort of internet connection to use the computer.

You'll not have excel on it UNLESS you use the online excel.

It's Linux based underneath but with Google ChromeOS. Oddly not quite as developed as say Android has been.

Of course Dropbox should be fine, but you might find Google Drive easier to use.

My answer though will be no, you'll be better of getting a Windows PC.. Your work should provide it if it's needed anyway and any software. A tool to do the job.

Yeah! Wi-Fi Connection always, so not a problem. Work do supply me the Laptop & all software. Just I move about quite a bit & am thinking of buying my folks a Chromebook as they're non computer peops. I just wondered for myself if it was a goer? Chromebook doesn't have native desktop Apps which I know. I've seen a program that syncs dropbox to Googledrive, but my problem is can I open, edit & save Excel sheets back down to dropbox through the Chrome OS? Online Excel? I'm Googling at the moment, so if I find it myself I'll repost...just wondered if I could use any guys who have more of a clue than me...
Thanks for replies Guys!

claret73":2fmswv9m said:
Yeah! Wi-Fi Connection always, so not a problem. Chromebook doesn't have native desktop Apps which I know. I've seen a program that syncs dropbox to Googledrive, but my problem is can I open, edit & save Excel sheets back down to dropbox through the Chrome OS? I'm Googling at the moment, so if I find it myself I'll repost...just wondered if I could use any guys who have more of a clue than me...
Thanks for replies Guys!
There is no Excel program for the OS.. It is not a Microsoft Windows OS.

As I said you may be able to use the Microsft online versions of Excel, I do not know what functionality you loose.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/web-apps/

Of course you can use other spreadsheet software, that's not a problem. But anything Excel specific will be lost.. Google Docs are just basic.

Might be a Merry Go Round but I can find out as & when I get a Chromebook for my folks...

There is software called 'InstallFree Nexus' which Syncs between Cloud storage software. So, work files are Dropbox based & can use them in a cloud Full Excel state. (I think) TBH I don't think I'd risk it, but might be worth a go with some test files of my own, as I have a Dropbox account.

To be confirmed....

Well, it would if I wasn't a Mac User. If I was looking to spend 1k on a laptop right now, I'd be hard pushed to think outside of Apple/ But that's only as I've used them since the 90's & perhaps I'm still a touch blinkered...my reasoning behind the Chromebook was price & seeing if EXCEL Files could be used...they can sort of, but I think for the Importance of work, I'll be sticking with a Windows based machine and a desktop environment with software. My folks on the other hand, they'd be happy surfing & email...

That does look Nice though & I had seen the rumour videos. I'm sure it will have its fanbase. I've been reading some of the Google Group posts for Chromebook & the responses & arguments for using Chrome OS, does at times make Apple & Windows based syncing with other devices look a bit arcane...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be keeping an eye on this & its reviews.

Back