1984 Raleigh Maverick

agentorange

rBotM Winner
Now, please correct me if I'm wrong but I 'believe' that the Maverick was the first mountain bike you could buy in the UK, I recall the Muddy Fox Seeker was around the same time.

Anyway, here's my Raleigh Maverick. Got the frame on eBay last month for 99p & when I got it the BB threads still had paint on, so, no, this bike has never been made up, not a scratch on it. It's a lovely frame, very heavy but angles to die for. I've built it up using 100% original stock based on a bit of research. Suntour drivetrain, Araya rims, Dia Compe brakes etc. I'd loved to have gone Shimano DeerHead but that kit was only for the fancy US bikes.

I actually use this bike to comute to central London so I had to buy the saddle plus some 1.95 Kenda cruiser slicks.

So, here she is, what do you think?

2443933340_edb0b76ced.jpg

2443933596_035cee3252.jpg

2443933470_db46e3a7cb.jpg

Agentorange, that's so cool. Great to see a maverick up here and what a great example. And there was me thinking they appeared in '86-'87. :roll:

Now that hits the spot!

If anyone needs convincing of this retrobike thang that is it. Where else can you get that value for money in any other walk of life.

99p for that frame,Cost me 99p for a Galaxy chocky bar today. And i ate the thing in 5 mins flat!

Cheers,Al Full of chocolate, Cornwall! ;)

My first mountain bike was a maverick, very similar to that, only gun-metal blue witha different stem, is that the 18 speed model?

Love the bullmoose bars :) I had a set on an early ten speed, calliper braked and steel rimmed pseudo mountain bike, I junked it about three years ago only keeping the very old school thumbies. I wish I had of kept the bars too :(

Back