1983 Raleigh Rapide W.I.P. - links for newbies added

Thanks Tel and Torqueless, i will give it a look shortly. I don't think it has been squeezed but i will check. I think it is the dropout mouth which has been damaged. **** grrrrrr

Anyways - more pics while the computer is working - not for long! These show before and after of the seat post and brake calipers - even the pics do not do them justice!

IMGP1664.jpg

IMGP1665.jpg

IMGP1666.jpg

IMGP1667.jpg

IMGP1668.jpg

IMGP1671.jpg

IMGP1672.jpg

IMGP1673.jpg

IMGP1674.jpg

IMGP1675.jpg

And now - TAAA DAAAAAAAAA - the polished brake calipers - sunglasses please!!!

IMGP1676.jpg

IMGP1677.jpg

IMGP1679.jpg

IMGP1680.jpg

IMGP1681.jpg

IMGP1682.jpg

IMGP1683.jpg

IMGP1684.jpg

IMGP1685.jpg

Thanks for looking, the calipers really look better in real life than in the pics!

Hi all,
Festive Update -

Today I rebuilt the Rapide but ... The missing washer meant I could not test the chainring charger (AKA front mech). I am not overly pleased, but what can I do. I realised that there is a lot more to this than I thought at the beginning but no problem is insurmountable with the help available here.

I have a little bit more to do but it will have to wait until after Christmas - family stuff etc takes precedence. I love the bike and, strangely, once the front wheel is on it looks fantastic. The quick test drive I gave it made me smile, I don't smile easily!

My finished Rapide will be here very soon, although I may decide to finish it back to OE everywhere and this will take a little longer but you will all get first look!

I have realised that the rebuild process is easy if, and only if, you have no problems, I have had a few and they relate to the age of the bike -

1. New brake cables had the wrong fitting, so I used the OE ones which were in great condition
2. Gear cable outer had been shortened when I had the DA mech on, and the frame boss did not match the one I had acquired (thanks Dan) after some swearing, I sorted it out
3. The main problem, side pull brakes are not that good, polished or not! Hence my change to 600AX but I still need to tinker with the Weinmanns to get them right.
4. This is odd, the hole in the frame for the rear brake calliper Allen bolt was too small, I had to drill it to enlarge it. I cannot understand that at all but it is sorted.
5. Dare I mention the missing washer yet again. I still have no idea where it went but I think I have one organised.
6. Spacing seems very tight around the gears, wheels and cranks but with careful adjustment (a lot of time) I think this has been addressed.
7. New bar tape is not that nice, thankfully I kept the old Bike Ribbon Tape and was able to re-use it, after three tries with the new tape!

I want to wish everyone here a very Happy Christmas and to say thanks for everything you have done for me (and to me!). I hope you all have a great 2013 and I bet you can't wait for my next build!!!

Thanks everyone,

Richard

P.s. apologies for the bad grammar this iPad is killing me slowly! Lap top due home soon...

Update for 2013 - bike is almost done to the point i want it. Road test went ok (ish), must remember to ensure rear skewer is tightened tight!!!

Almost, final product due very soon. I have to say thanks to Will911 for helping me (read that as - he sorted it) with the fork damage and for providing the missing washer, and a lovely cup of coffee.

Hopefully pics within a week.....

Happy New Year to all!!!!

Well, 7 weeks into the new year and i am no further forward. I have been waiting for decals from before Christmas and am now trying to source a set from a different supplier (thanks RustyRetro). I have had to make a few changes to various bits and pieces to satisfy the eagle eyed RBers (thanks Mr Raleigh) and i plan to replace a couple of bits and pieces - bar tape, wheels, tubes in the final installment. Unfortunately the OE seat has not turned up but i have the Concor Profil on it at the moment and i have another recovered Concor (black suede) to go on should the need arise.

I think, as i learn about these builds, it is best to have ALL the bits and pieces before you start and then the build should not be delayed. As a newbie, you have to start somewhere and you should learn by your mistakes - this is one lesson i wish i had learned earlier.
Here are a few pics of the current road-going Rapide - if anyone spots anything which should be changed please tell me - apart from those previously mentioned.

Thanks for reading - is this the slowest build thread?

IMGP2225_zpsaf877733.jpg

IMGP2223_zps2c3fbce0.jpg

IMGP2218_zps8d41d6b7.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your help, i hope that the final build will be soon - but no promises!!!!!!

Richard

Actually Ian, those are the old crank covers, the new ones actually LOOK much nicer - thanks again!! LOL

Where is the odd bolt? I will be phoning Raleigh because that was the bolt supplied!!!!

Back