DBR Axis TT - retro reboot (pics on Page 4)

Re: DBR Axis TT (Team Titanium)

No, not original, but I'm sure over any given trail situation it is significantly quicker than the original build due to the modern components, specifically the forks, v-brakes and tyres. The forks ease rider fatigue too, I can ride for hours on this. The 9 speed transmission is lighter and has a better spread of ratios than the original. I built it for racing, pure and simple - and it is VERY quick, although quite twichy due to the low weight. It now wears a carbon-railed saddle to match the seatpost and I've swapped the tyres out to 1.8" shedding another 1/2 lb or so overall. Bring on the 2013 race season.

I've got a period correct 1990 Kona for when I feel the urge to enter a timewarp!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105671

SP

Pyro Tim, the frame is every bit as good as it looks! I have never ridden a better XC hard tail, sure it would be useless around a Welsh or Scottish trail centre but on the green fields of England it excels. I was placing in the top 10% of endurance races in 2011 on this bike, it got largely shelved in 2012 as the mud clearance is very low and it was tucked up safe and warm whilst the other steeds suffered the wettest summer on record. My Chain Reaction Cycles bills are testament to this :facepalm:

SP

I agree ...the mix of modern and retro works so well that for the first time in a long time buying a DBR is quite tempting, fine recovery sir

I hope to see it at MM. I'm trying to decide which 2 to take with me. The WCF is coming. Not sure if I'll take the Axis or R. Prob the R

andreaviola, do I not see v-brakes and parralax hubs on your bike? :roll: Also those derailleurs look a bit too modern.... ;)

SP

Yes..yes ,
but I did not say: your bike is not period correct and mine is.....,

you are right, but it is not finished :)

andreaviola":371wpj75 said:
Yes..yes ,

Are you sure yours from 93 is period correct? The decals look a little more modern...

Neil":3aoa0ees said:
andreaviola":3aoa0ees said:
Yes..yes ,

Are you sure yours from 93 is period correct? The decals look a little more modern...

From the cable routing, I think it's a 95. The 93 had the 3 cables on the side, 95 had 2 + 1

Pyro Tim":1rs1n87e said:
Neil":1rs1n87e said:
andreaviola":1rs1n87e said:
Yes..yes ,

From the cable routing, I think it's a 95. The 93 had the 3 cables on the side, 95 had 2 + 1
94 would have had 2 + 1, too.

Oddly enough, I think there's a pic in the 95 brochure of a Vertex (the 7005 frame, "plain" Vertex) that shows 3 cables on the side - think that was decided as being an anomaly in the brochure, but I'd go with 93s having 3 on the side (so to speak). Think they started in 92 with that, and went to 2 + 1 in 94.

Looking good SP :cool: Was the work on the fork hard to do, and how much did it reduce the axle to crown height?

Back