Computer obsessions

I write software for a living. My usual day is: get up at 6:30 and see the wife/kids for an hour in the morning while prising them out of bed an distrbuting cups of tea and breakfast, spend eight to ten hours at work on my computer, see the wife/kids for a few hours in the evening before they all collapse into bed, then back to the PC until 3am. Usually. Not obsessed just... erm... doing... you know.. vital stuff for the economy. :)

Raging_Bulls":3nvw0ou9 said:
Huh? What? Us men obsessed with computers? No I'm not !

aP2180012m.jpg

Waaaaaaay too neat. Is it for display purposes only, or do you actually use it? :D

25B48F5A-B33F-4C2B-9B18-49E75225DCD8-20489-00000B6074B1F42A_zps4d2532ba.jpg

FMJ":3twg75rl said:
Waaaaaaay too neat. Is it for display purposes only, or do you actually use it? :D

I used to build PCs for people and occasionally I still do, and my own PC has always been a good demo rig. Clean, no-nonsense and with plenty of reliable power.
I use it for gaming, work, as a multimedia machine, for data recovery and maintenance on other PCs, etc. Basically it's being used 15-16 hours/day, so it's not just a show queen.

The neatness is merely the result of spending a few hours on figuring out a good multi-PC setup that doesn't require flash drives or external HDDs. Everything is on a big network disk, which saves an insane amount of wire clutter and eliminates the need to sync across machines.
The rest of the cables are kept out of sight by attaching them to the back of the desk and/or putting them together in one of those flexible plastic cable covers. It's amazing what a few hours of cable management can do.

Mind you, the laptop and netbook usually aren't on my desk. I had the laptop on there for maintenance (ccleaner, virus scan, etc), but the netbook on my right was put there for the photo.

TedC":30loj8gw said:
My_Teenage_Self":30loj8gw said:
My other half is *CONSTANTLY* reading a daft website about obsolete old bicycles, that or fiddling with the damn things when they should be....

...Oh.

:facepalm:

My Missus tolerates my obsessions, I tolerate hers! :LOL:

Same here.

Dilbert captures it, exchange computer for bike and...

I thought much the same when I first read that particular strip. Can't beat a bit of Dilbert in any case, some of the stuff about HR and management is scarily spot-on!

The whole computer games thing is frankly a bit lost on me, although a good few of my mates are seriously hooked. In a nutshell, I just don't get it; no more than they can fathom out my cyclo-cross obsession, I guess....

David

Back