Washing machine issues......

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i'm not talking about the forum member here, i'm actually talking about real life problems.
washing machine delivered last week (thursday) it was "fitted" by the delivery men.
they actually managed to fit the hot water pipe (ITS RED) to the washing machine (ITS COLD WATER INLET ONLY).

so, anyway, i spot this error after i take a look since our washing has come out steaming hot after the first few washes.

i go to swap the pipes over and fit correctly (AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS WHICH THE DELIVERY MEN THOUGHT THEY KNEW BETTER SO DIDNT BOTHER READING THEM) and find when i go to shut off the hot water pipe, it has a very slow leak.
i can't see into it without the use of an inspection mirror, but its definitely leaking on the inside of the tap end.
anyways, if this is leaking here, i guess i need a new stop end(?) or will a stop end cap do the job nicely?

i have the same problem as this chap i think
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum ... t4473.html
but dont fully understand what the responses are saying....i'm no plumber, but explain to me in a way i'll understand and i'll be able to do it. i DO NOT want to call a plumber out. i have absolutely no faith whatsoever in anyone else being able to do this job properly - but in plumbers defense, i'm unsure why they are letting delivery men fit washing machines....? WTF

If the valve is just letting a drop past now and then an end cap might work OK. If I remember right though these connections aren't supposed to seal at the thread but rather on a rubber washer in the fitting on the end of the pipe... if so you'd probably be better with a new valve to properly stop the leak. You don't really even need to use a valve on the end of the pipe if you're not planning on using a hot-fill washing machine again I suppose...

A new valve is about £2.50 from B&Q, turn the water off, remove the old valve, fit the new one. Simple.

About 5 mins work TBH.

if the hot feed is no longer required, you'd be better off just removing and capping the valve entirely. 15mm compression cap should do the job. post a pic and ill let you know.

yar, may just do that :) another notch on my DIY belt ;) and possibly another excuse to buy more tools....and another toolbox...:p

gavinda":71emj2z9 said:
if the hot feed is no longer required, you'd be better off just removing and capping the valve entirely. 15mm compression cap should do the job. post a pic and ill let you know.

i would, but to be honest we aren't looking to stay here forever. would rather leave it there - especially if we decide to rent it out again (not likely though going by our previous experiences). but all the same, it hasnt been a problem before - just since these muppets fitted the washing machine :evil:

You'd be suprised how many domestic item delivery drivers know jack about the simplest of things and just screw the pipes on without checking to see if the rubber washer is in there

It's no hassle to cap the feed and all new 'water' appliances are cold fill only anyway. Putti g a cap on will save you risk of further leaks in teh future.

gavinda":2dbu6mtg said:
It's no hassle to cap the feed and all new 'water' appliances are cold fill only anyway. Putti g a cap on will save you risk of further leaks in teh future.

you mean something like this:

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4K4BQ,BHO!FU!~~60_35.JPG

or is there something to replace the valve and shut it off completely?

Back