1991 Team Marin

Narhay

Devout Dirtbag
I saw this on the local craigslist ending its life as a miserable college commuter when I swooped in. The paint...well...the paint speaks for itself. To me, it is like the pride flag threw up on my bike leaving some stains that just won't ever come out. At least if it is ever stolen I can just look for the giant neon highlighter cruising down the street. The frame is in fantastic shape. There are a couple scratches on the paint on one side of the bike and the fork but there are no dents, bumps, bruises, bends, cracks or RUST etc...structural integrity? Check! That stem? Wow, someone really had a crack at that one.

Pretty much everything on the bike is Deore XT. The cranks are some variant of Deore but they seem to do the job.

The before pictures:

Marin001_zpse081392d.jpg

Marin002_zps0b34c487.jpg

Marin003_zps19d7b9d1.jpg

Marin004_zps65057402.jpg

Marin005_zpsb747fefe.jpg

Marin006_zps28a2fc2b.jpg

Marin007_zpsbd952f63.jpg

Marin008_zpsdd1848b9.jpg

Marin009_zps4752eaf3.jpg

Marin010_zps97c44259.jpg

Marin011_zpsb684005c.jpg

Marin012_zps799c1547.jpg

After some scrubbing, tire changes and a new chain:

Marin013_zps63eb91cd.jpg

Marin014_zps5375593f.jpg

(Yes, I might need to take out a couple links)

Marin015_zpsb1329936.jpg

Marin016_zps689f130b.jpg

I am considering a new black handlebar and seatpost but keeping the stem. I have some new grips and bar ends in the wings but I don't want to put the cables and housing together before switching out the bar. There is a tiny dimple on one of the RM-17 rims that I will see if I can get straightened out a bit but it is almost imperceptible. Several of the steel screws (cable holders and their ilk etc.) are rusted and I will go to the LBS to see if I can replace them with some brand new shiny ones as this commuter's stable was in mother nature.

I want to replace the cantilever cable holder as it is quite rusted out. It's this bizarre contraption that holds one cantilever with a special cable and threads through with the actual brake cable unlike others. I am sure if you have seen an XT cantilever like this you would know what I am talking about (also seen a few pictures above).

Anyways, not too much in terms of upgrades but a few details to touch up the rough areas.

Re: 1993? Team Marin

definitely will be hard to lose :LOL:

But on a serious note I love that. looks so much better with proper tyres and no mudguards.

Thanks for the info...that really pegs it down. 1991 just makes it all the more retro. Some of the chain rings are a bit chewed up from use but I wasn't having much luck finding replacements. Know of a source? I believe it is 46 36 24 with a 5 bolt pattern.

I am thinking of getting a bucket of oxalic acid and dumping a few of the parts in there to see how they might clean up. It's worth a shot to me and I don't believe it will damage any of my parts.

Do you guys know if there is a scan of the xt cantilever brakes diagram? There are a few options to put the spring ends into and I want to reinstall them correctly. I have them in the middle of the 3 cantilever boss holes on the frame but there are 2 holes in the brake arm itself with a swing arm plastic job that i am not sure how to orient properly. Ideally I will take out the XT pads and store them for photo ops and replace with some new salmon kool stops for real world use.

Oh, and how much did I pay? Let's just say since this is a co.uk site that the queen is older than the number of quid.

You can put a wanted ad on here for chainrings or search eBay for rings with a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameters) of 74 and 110mm. By the way, the standard rings all have tabs that should be positioned under the crank arm. They should be refitted as per your pre-clean pic ;)

Looks like you've done a good enough job cleaning it up already without resorting to chemicals, I'd leave well alone!

Think I know what you mean with the brakes but some pics might help. The spring should pop into the round hole in the washer inside the brake. The triangular cut-out rests against the grub screw.

Sounds like you got a good deal, they go for £150+ on eBay here.

Thanks for noticing those tabs. Are those the little circular washers? They should be just under the nut head and partially visible when you look at the outside of the crank and closer to me than the chainring itself?

Almost all the parts are great and wouldn't need oxalic acid. Some of the limit screws, the cable hanger, the pulley bolt, and the rear of the front derailleur etc etc. This bike is for me, so I'd like to get it as cleaned up as possible :D

Thanks for the BCD ratios. If anything, just the middle ring is the most in need of replacement but if I can get a NOS set or replica then all the better.

lrh":39i97uro said:
You can put a wanted ad on here for chainrings or search eBay for rings with a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameters) of 74 and 110mm. By the way, the standard rings all have tabs that should be positioned under the crank arm. They should be refitted as per your pre-clean pic ;)

Looks like you've done a good enough job cleaning it up already without resorting to chemicals, I'd leave well alone!

Think I know what you mean with the brakes but some pics might help. The spring should pop into the round hole in the washer inside the brake. The triangular cut-out rests against the grub screw.

Sounds like you got a good deal, they go for £150+ on eBay here.

Narhay":2j2a814o said:
Thanks for noticing those tabs. Are those the little circular washers? They should be just under the nut head and partially visible when you look at the outside of the crank and closer to me than the chainring itself?
Oh no, I mean the sort of inner tooth pointing towards the axle. When the rings are in the correct orientation then the lettering on the rings will all be together in one "pizza slice" of the chainset. The little washers go between the middle ring and the arms.

In my experience the rust on nuts and bolts is superficial and can be scratched off with a wire brush or sand paper. Most screws/bolts are standard metric sizes so easy to replace if they're too far gone.

You'll be lucky to find NOS Shimano rings especially the middle one, everybody wants 'em! Even aftermarket you're looking at $20 each.

Marin003_zps19d7b9d1.jpg

Ooh i can see the potential there - Nice rescue!

The cantilever guide can be found in the Gallery&Archive, click on service manuals in the Shimano section.

Clean the canti cable holders with a bit of fine steel wool then polish.... they come up a treat!!

You'd be lucky to find an unfaded neon Marin nowadays.

Rich.

Back