HOPE brakes q's-adaptor & hose solved, which rotors ?????

magas

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
bought some very lovely HOPE brakeset over here some times ago, and now want to use them on one of my full sussers instead of the inferior noisy and "no chance to cetralize" Avid Juicy 7 :evil:

Levers are Mini ones; one caliper is a PM style no.9-74 and one is no.5 in IS 160 front and 140 rear. both are single piston ones. Dont know what they are called excactly (C.., Mono, Mini) ???

As I'm not so familiar with Hope brakes I'm a bit confused, as I cant find they right adapter to go with the no.9 caliper for a 180 mm front rotor layout on a RockShox Reba with PM. Can I use just any adapter PM to PM 180 or do I need a Hope one ? Do I need a 183 mm Hope rotor or can I go the 180 mm route ?

For the rear I want a 160 mm rotor. Is there a 140 IS to 160 IS adapter available or do I have to look for some other caliper (PM or 160 IS) ?

thanks for helping me out of that dilemma.

ordered now the IS + 20 adaptor and tested the PM front caliper with some 180 PM adaptor and and old 180 rotor on the front - bingo, it worked :D

but now I'm facing another problem; this time it's the hose. As far as I know Hope is now using a 5mm hose as standard on their brake systems. My brakes does have the older 6mm hose. So far so good; hose lenght is fine, just needed to be shorten a bit. Ony problem is that one of the pins of that original straight hose connector looks like its broken and is shorter than the other :roll: Its this connector

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3258

but its only available for the 5 mm hose nowadays - the major webshops in Germany and the UK dont offer a 6 mm connector, only one I found its from a small UK shop, but dont ask if they would ship to Austria ?

- does anyone of you know, if I can still use that connector with the shorter pin and the original olive or

- does the kit from chainreaction work (with minor tweaks) with the 6 mm hose, or

- do I have to buy myself a full 5 mm hoseset , or

- does anyone of you have a spare 6 mm connector for me :LOL:

what should I go for ???

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: HOPE brakes q's-adaptor & hose solved, which rotors ????

these days I received the IS to IS +20mm adaptor and the 6mm hose connector, from a small shop in Germany.

Installed everything, do some bleeding and everything worked as suposed - at least on the workstand :(

While yesterday the weather was fine I took the bike out for a short ride. On the flat the brakes behaved well, but when it comes to decending and having to brake hard I feel a bit of rubbing, wopping which is enoying, also they are also very noisy.

When home I checked the pads and rotors and find out, that the pads are do not have contact on the entire brake surface of the rotor, instead the pads are also touching the discstrut (are they called like that ?)

I have to say, that I'm now using Shimano rotors 180 and 160 diameter. The brakesurface of the Shimano rotor is arround 16 mm wide, while I checked a 140 mm Hope rotor which is arround 20 mm wide.

Heres a pics. of the same Hope disc I have in 140, but larger diameter - I guess I need one of that design in 180 and 160 to achieve a perfect match between pads and rotor - any idea where I get one of these nowadays ?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=243382

cheers,

Those are the original minis, so run 145, 165, 185 or 203mm rotors.

UK Bike Store have the correct Mini rotors (had to buy some 5 bolt ones for the other half's Chameleon last summer). They also have the older hose adapters.

Mindmap3":1k887nye said:
Those are the original minis, so run 145, 165, 185 or 203mm rotors.

UK Bike Store have the correct Mini rotors (had to buy some 5 bolt ones for the other half's Chameleon last summer). They also have the older hose adapters.

cheers for that, appriciate it. did also find that Mini Wavey disc, but had been concerned about the size of the rotors. I checked again the rotor which came with the brakes and it wasn't size 140 as I supposed, instead it was 145 mm as you stated it. Also I found another the other Hope rotor which was of 165mm dia. Removed the Shimano on the rear and installed the Hope one, which was far better suited due the fact, that the braking surface wide was arround 20mm instead of the 14mm of the Shimano rotor.

Going to check that weekend, if weather's fine, the brake performance of that setup.

Back