Orange C16 - 1x8

Sithlord":3pyoir5s said:
Well it was sold to me as a C16 ! not being a Orange guru I cannot say if its a clockwork or not, either way its still a fantastic bike, dont mind if its a clockwork either :) hey its a Orange.!

Would not mind though if someone could confirm if its a clockwork or C16 ;)

It could be an early (95-96) C16. They still had a braze on seat binder.

It's basically a Clockwork either way, C16 was only the 16th modification to the 'C'lockwork. ;)

Oops! almost forgot to say........nice bike! :cool:

Looks really good, can't beat the steel Orange with Pace rigids combo. What chainset is it?

Regarding a chain guide or using a front mech I've not experienced difficulties in derailing the chain over the last year of regular use - perhaps I'm just lucky? Having just checked the chainring is unrampred so that might help to keep it seated - I also rarely if ever use either extreme of the cassette (more like a 1x5 to be honest).

I reckon have a test ride that requires quite a bit of shifting without a guide, if it's a problem get one otherwise just ride on!

Oh and I stumbled across the 1x8 setup in fairly organic fashion (i.e. front thumbie knackered) but with a lot of my riding only involving middle ring and never really being taken with this gearing lark it suits me pretty well. Now have a working front thumbie though so may fit a big ring as the unused cable stop for the top pull front mech spoils the otherwise clean lines - vanity at it's worst!

Orange

Its a pre 93 Clockwork Simon. All the C16R's and post 93 had removeable binder clamps cut off level. Looks a big size for you tho? Wud a thought a 17 or 15. would be right? that's an 18 or 19 with the long head tube. Running the chain a bit shorter, as you don't need the length to cover the front triple an a short cage mech would stop the chain dropping. Total waste of time spoiling it with the chain device and spoils the lines, OnZa do a short cage mech with extra strong spring for single front 6/7/8/9 rear Trials set ups and they dont drop chains even when dropping 20 foot onto concrete on the back wheel. Just need a narrower axle to get the chainline right and/or run an inner ring on middle crankset. Why don't you try a 2x1 set up as a lighter weight option?

Looks really nice mate...sorry, forgot to tell you that the forks didn't have a star-nut in place as I was running a headlock system :oops:
Carl

No worries Carl... thanks for them forks, think they look spot on.. although may spray them black yet for a more stealthy look :cool: .. I am going to follow Eds advice on not using any sort of retention device on the front ring but keep the chain nice and tight.. ;) reduced weight too :LOL: This is the first Orange I have owned since my Formula BITD, which is sadly missed and doubt if I'll ever own another, due to the rarity of them.. :cry: :( lets just hope this C16/Clockwork brings back some memories eh!!

So future upgrades for this , if I keep her.. are a Ti Bottom Bracket and CK Headset a lighter seatpost..

Thanks for all your help and opinions so far... keep them coming.. ;) :)

Thanks Andy :) ;) Got the Star fangled thingy today, Still cant ride it yet cos waitin now for a 19mm cone spanner to come so I cant set the damm brakes up.. cant get my normal 19mm in to adjust .... DOH!! :LOL: :LOL:

Hey, it looks good!

99% sure it is a C16. Reasons..

- Similar to Clockwork
- No chainstay bridge
- About 3/4lb lighter than a Clockwork
- Had original paint and decals on before I had it powdercoated ;)
(unless it was a factory respray, but would not have thought Orange would apply diff decals)

Back