Marin Muirwoods

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
Hi all I have finally got a Muirwoods again. I had one for 3 weeks 20 years ago . . . . until someone decided they needed it more then I did?!?!?!
Anyway enough talk here is a pic,

I completely forgot how cool Power Grips are!!

Now my want list is one bike shorter but, I still want quite a few bikes. I may need to find some more storage.

Attachments

• 252554633.jpg
    252554633.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 775
That looks great and very original,a good find. I've got one too...in my living room :D I love mine,not the most desirable bike in most peoples eyes but just rides so well.22 years on and the zolatone paint is still perfect,I brought mine indoors for the winter as I didn't want her getting road salt on her,used my more modern and more expensive bikes for that :) .Looking forward to using it again,,roll on summer.Just goes to prove ,in my mind anyway that you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun on a bike,,It's good to see other people have the love for the lower end bikes.Enjoy it and never let it go as they are worth much more than you would ever get for it,,Zolatone and flouro rules!
Mark

Hi Mark Thanks for the reply, I love this bike to pieces, i have put on some black LX Cantis and LX Exage combined thumb shifter and brake levers, I should have some Schwalbes for it too. If only my lovely wife would let me get a Brooks B-17 for it, I would be thrilled. It is a great bike that only cost me $50 NZ ( about 28 pounds) and the guy has another in Black/Fluro yellow that is his wifes, he will sell me that for the same amount of money, when she is ready to sell.

Yea I was pretty stoked with the price, condition is pretty good for its originality, nothing was replaced as the guy was like " It still works well" "Why change anything?"
I like that attitude but . . . . as much as I like the period correctness of keeping it Shimano cantilever , I am also tossing up Tektro CR170's with Tektro levers and Deore Thumbies or a full 90's XT group set with V brakes, what do you guys think.

if you go v brakes you will need v brake levers, beyond that I would use it as it is unless your desperate to fiddle and change something

Hi syslus yes the XT stuff I have is full V brake levers and arms, it is probably over kill though for a 92 though (92? that's what matched in the catalog).
The drive train is worn, not completely it slips occasionally though.
I have gear here to well . . take the bike a bit further. The original stuff is available here but more expensive than other period(or a while after?!) type stuff that is better ie, LX, XT, STX for example.
It feels so much nicer with the LX thumb shifters, and LX brake arms, I mean I can actually adjust these brakes where as the original stuff was a bit too worn.

Hi its a 1991 if its zolatone (the last year they did it). Also the decals being the same colour as forks points towards '91. Come to think of it I think this model was only for 1991, as in 1990 it was bright yellow and not zolatone at all!... I had one when I was 16 my first proper mountain bike and I loved it! Where my love of Marins all started 22 years ago!

Looks sweet

Wook

Yea . . . .Thanks, I meant '91. Just been for a ride with the wife and its slipping again, adjusted tension still slipping. The casettes chain and chain rings are needing a change. I have some Deore DX coming that may have rings good enough to put on a LX set of cranks, the rest is easy.

Back