MKM Ultimate

Re:

Midlife":2baxe611 said:
"L" shaped cranks were supposed to alter the point of application of force to maximise it at the straight ahead position. The idea being you couldn't apply maximum force when on the return stroke.

Never quite understood the principal myself as the pedals still travel in a circle with the radius at the centre of the BB/ cranks......

Now eliptical chainrings..........they were different and had some sort of *real* physics applied to them LOL

Shaun

The bit that mattered was Ian Cammish used them and he won loads of TTs...and many associated his victories with the L shaped cranks...when he would won on cranks made from blasa wood as he was so good as a TT cyclist......he failed when he went to mainland Europe and came back to his British TT domain....i believe the expression to describe the cranks ability to improve cycling performance is called 'snake oil'!

Love this bike. It would be nicer with some nice toe clips and straps. Just a small observation!

Hah! Instant karma... I'm not vain enough to pretend it was done on my account, but this is just the bike I deserve to have bumped after ribbing Midlife about calling a bike with sub-39" wheelbase and centimetre clearances "a bit relaxed"....

Yes I remember these... not as intimately as some.. MKM putting the 'U' into 'SWB'....Q.E.D.!

Re: Re:

sawston_vulcan":2xuv75hl said:
Midlife":2xuv75hl said:
"L" shaped cranks were supposed to alter the point of application of force to maximise it at the straight ahead position. The idea being you couldn't apply maximum force when on the return stroke.

Never quite understood the principal myself as the pedals still travel in a circle with the radius at the centre of the BB/ cranks......

Now eliptical chainrings..........they were different and had some sort of *real* physics applied to them LOL

Shaun

The bit that mattered was Ian Cammish used them and he won loads of TTs...and many associated his victories with the L shaped cranks...when he would won on cranks made from blasa wood as he was so good as a TT cyclist......he failed when he went to mainland Europe and came back to his British TT domain....i believe the expression to describe the cranks ability to improve cycling performance is called 'snake oil'!

I have Mr. Cammish's actual PMP cranks with me with the L/H one cracked. I just love these PMP's & have 2 sets myself :D

The bike could do with a 57 Campag Ring IMO

Great bikes for TT. I borrowed one from Ian Crabtree in 1982 (ian ran MKM ) it was his own and all Crome . I was awaiting delivery of a new Argos at the time and he kindly helped out. It was very twitchy, especially at the turn on TT but also very quick. I used it for a couple of months and then sadly gave it back.
Great bike ! Enjoy
Mike

My friend has been slowly updating parts on his MKM Ultimate so I thought it was time to update this thread.

Current spec is....

Frame: MKM Ultimate – Reynolds 531

Fork: MKM – Reynolds 531

Headset: Tange
Stem: Cinelli 1R – 130mm
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Cinelli VIP Combo – Stem, Bars and Suede covering

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Record / NOS Black Globe Logo Hoods
Brake Calipers: Black Weinmann 500
Brake Pads: Continental Kool-Stops (White)
Brake Cables: Jagwire

Shifters: Campagnolo Record
Front Derailleur: None, it’s a Time Trial Bike!
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Record
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Freewheel: Regina ORO – 6 Speed – 13 through 18
Chain: KMC
Cranks: SR Royale Pista – 170mm
Chainrings: SR Chainring – 52 Teeth - Drilled
Bottom Bracket: Sugino 75 Pista
Pedals: MKS Sylan Track – MKS Toeclips – Alfredo Binda Straps – Cinelli Tugs

Rims: Pianni – 28 Hole – Built by Pete Matthews
Hubs: Gold Pelissier 2000
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Continental Competition Tubs – 700 x 19
Tubes: N/A

Saddle: Concor Supercorsa – Brown Suede
Seatpost: Campagnolo Record 2 Bolt
Seatpost Binder: MKM

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras: N/A

Weight: Unknown

Attachments

• MKM 9a.jpg
    MKM 9a.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 8a.jpg
    MKM 8a.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 7a.jpg
    MKM 7a.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 6a.jpg
    MKM 6a.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 4a.jpg
    MKM 4a.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 3a.jpg
    MKM 3a.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 520
  • MKM 1a.JPG
    MKM 1a.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 520
Great! Is it being used for it's intended purpose?

Mine's gone to pastures new I'm afraid to say. I was getting short of space, it wasn't a bike I rode very much - and I had a good offer from a friend.

So I know where it is.

put a 57 ring on it & it will really may it look like it has a USWB even more :)
Also reduce the length of those brake cables as this is a TT machine not a road bike

Re:

Another MKM saved today . Not sure which model . Pictures soon . Will need a paint job . My size at 23"
Going to need another shed :facepalm:

Back