Modern Groupset & Wheels

SNight

Retro Guru
I'm after a modern groupset for the Longstaff Audax frame and forks that I now need to build up. I'd like a compact chainset and of course modern sti shifters.

I've looked at campagnolo veloce and also shimano 105, so something along those lines would be great, also I'd like it to be 10 speed compatible.

Thanks.

I've got a pair of Campagnolo Scirocco wheels with 10 speed Veloce block in very nice condition that aren't needed anymore. About 3 years old.

Hi Finney,

Thanks for the reply. How many spokes per wheel? Ideally I want something nice and strong so 32 or 36 spokes really?

Scirocco's have fewer spokes than that. 27 I think on the rear. You know a complete veloce groupset new is about £360 which should give you a guide for a second hand group. If you like doing all your own work then lookout for U-T veloce cranks as removing those is alot less tool intensive than the P-T cranks. With both BB type though you will bearing (gear) pullers to remove do the bearings when they need it.

Shimano has this tooling adavnatage. Apart from the tool issues Campag Veloce is a very good groupset.

All I have currently is a second hand 2300 compact chainset (lightly used) but that hardly fits your want list.

Thanks for the offer on the askium wheels. I've got hold of a campag rear mech now, so ideally i'm after something compatible with a campag cassette. Also, its for an audax bike so race wheels arn't really what im after, I want something strong, 32 or 36 hole.

Thanks anyway.

SNight":3ibq7puq said:
Hi Finney,

Thanks for the reply. How many spokes per wheel? Ideally I want something nice and strong so 32 or 36 spokes really?

Not right for your build, these are more of a lightweight wheel for training. 9x3 grouped spokes on the rear and less than 32 on the front. not what I would describe as traditional or bullet-proof! good luck with the build :)

I have a few veloce parts, if you decide to go that way - 9 speed ergos, dual pivot calipers, front mech...

I've got a Veloce UT compact chainset (and cups) that was on my Ribble trainer that got changed for a std set-up. v.low miles if of interest?
Also some Record carbon 10sp ergo's - going cheap!

stuarts":2ku8rcoq said:
I've got a Veloce UT compact chainset (and cups) that was on my Ribble trainer that got changed for a std set-up. v.low miles if of interest?
Also some Record carbon 10sp ergo's - going cheap!

hi stuarts, if the OP isn't interested i'd be very interested in your Record ergo's...what's the condition like?

Back