1992 Trek 8000 Disc Conversion

...so I whipped the seat clamp off and measure the top of the seat tube, and it seems to be exactly 33mm.

Interestingly, I found that I had at some stage needed to put a shim inside my clamp, which is not the original item. Maybe I'll get a new clamp, now I don't need the cable stop for cantis.

hmmm, interesting.

So I now have a dilemma, as this seems to be a rare size indeed...

31.8 and widen it a bit, or 34.9 and tighten it a lot?

BobCatMax":vlybblv5 said:
hmmm, interesting.

So I now have a dilemma, as this seems to be a rare size indeed...

31.8 and widen it a bit, or 34.9 and tighten it a lot?
Indeed, it does appear to be a strange size. I measured it across the fore-and-aft and 'athwartships' axes, just to be certain.

In my case, the shim I'm using appears to be about 0,5mm thick Au sheet, which would imply an increase of roughly 1mm, which suggests that the internal diameter of my clamp is most likely to be 34,9.

I'll happily re-measure it if you like, including the non-compressed internal diameter of the clamp, to be certain.

What I can say is that it's been like that since (ISTR) around 1996 and I've never had any problems with it at all. Until I opened it up the other day I wasn't even aware that there was a shim in there!

btw... Post some pictures of your 8000, please! I'm still curious about why these apparently very good bikes appear to be so uncommon or to have so little kudos.

I think you're right, the 34.9 does seem to be the more sensible option.

I'll get one ordered from CRC this morning :)

Mine is a 7000, i think

summer shoes
trek7000summershoes.jpg

winter commuting duties
Trek-wintercommuter.jpg

BobCatMax":3f43phfn said:
I think you're right, the 34.9 does seem to be the more sensible option.

I'll get one ordered from CRC this morning :)

Mine is a 7000, i think
Very nice! I think it probably is a 7000, mine has a different fork. Yours appears to have straight legs.

Is that a fixie or singlespeed setup? What ratios?

It's a Kona Project 2 fork on the front, which is why it's straight. It's a bitsa build, so very little matches or is original.

set up as an SS on a 42x17. Just about acceptable for the coastal westerly wind down here

Hehe, it arrived this morning, Tim.

it's huge! not sure 2mm of coke can is gonna do it. We shall see tomorrow :)

enough of my pesky hijacking too ;)

BobCatMax":2h8qyp67 said:
Hehe, it arrived this morning, Tim.

it's huge! not sure 2mm of coke can is gonna do it. We shall see tomorrow :)

enough of my pesky hijacking too ;)
Good luck with it. IMHO you're not hijacking. Post some pics of it in place!

Will get some pics later, but I thought I'd just say, coke can* shims FTW.

way way too big, a good few mm's i reckon. a double wrap of can, then folded over in half. so around a total of four complete revolutions. works like a charm

*other soft drink or alcoholic beverage** metal containers can be used in the production of this shim

** this would've been more appropriate

Back