Diving headfirst into modernity

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I've just bought a full suspension bike. Proper modern.

I have 'modern' bikes already but they're not really proper modern, my hardtail might be carbon framed but it runs a 3x9 drivetrain with old XTR M95x shifters and lovely old wheels with proper quick releases. My singlespeed is steel and therefore virtually retro right?

The thing I've just bought is the epitome of an 'ugly modern bike'.

2 x 10 drivetrain.
Through axles front and rear.
Short stem, wide bar.
Carbon swingarm.

I've always been a detractor of full suspension, never seen the need for it and never wanted it but somehow I found myself unable to resist buying one this weekend.

I guess I figured it's time I finally found out if they have come of age.

I hope so, it was bloody expensive!

Now I just need to explain to my wife why I've spent the equivalent of two months mortgage on another bike.

Thanks for that.

IMHO, affordable, lightweight, efficient and reliable FS bikes are a very very recent thing but then time is relative isn't it.

Are you going to let us know what it is?

The thing that has really come on in the last few years is big travel bikes that don't weigh much. Specialized were one of the first brands to produce a six inch bike that could be ridden up hill and then blast back down with the 2005 Enduro and SX frames. Great bikes, but a bit heavy. The new ones are even more efficient at climbing and descending but a fair few pounds lighter and let's face it, at the end of a long ride you're going to notice those few pounds. Especially on that last climb.

I bought a Whyte T120s as they're designed here (Cheltenham) and the prototypes were ridden and refined on my local trails. If any bike is suitable for the riding I do, it should be that one.

Its an ex-demo so half price direct from ATB Sales.

W-1-003-11.png

Russell":1onst0rb said:
I've always been a detractor of full suspension, never seen the need for it and never wanted it but somehow I found myself unable to resist buying one this weekend.

I guess I figured it's time I finally found out if they have come of age.

Perhaps it is yourself that has come of age?

My view is that full sussers have been affordable, adaptable and of course as reliable as the gear you dress them with since the late 90s. Certainly there were a number of impressive bikes to choose from at the price point of your new steed by 2002 or so.

A very long time ago in the history of the mountain bike.

Back