New BB and Crank New PROBLEMS

yeah bit of a mess there set up wise judging by those pics.

echoing most of the previous comments, get the outer cage parallel with the chainrings, drop it down abit, get the lower part of the cage back on.

then put the rear gears into 1st gear, then adjust the inner adjustment screw so that the inner plate only just misses the chain, then hook up the cable, then change down a couple of gears at the back and start setting up the change to top ring, at this point the only thing to adjust will be the outer limit screw, it needs to be opened up enough to get the top ring without rubbing in top gear but not so far as to hit the inside of the crank arm, if the mech is parallel to the rings this shouldn't be an issue.

I concur that your cage is way off kilter, and a few mm too far up the seat tube. I'm trying to work out if that crooked cage is your way of attempting a front gear change, or the reason you can't change? Yes, get it parallel to the rings and loosen the stop-screws and work from there. If it doesn't shift like that, IMO you won't achieve anything by angling the cage as you have..

That's one thing about the double-pointed design of the front clamp of the old Campag. front changers.. you thought it was just decoration, but it was functional decoration in that it looked wrong if it wasn't centred on the seat-tube. If it was centred, the cage would be in alignment... or damn close, anyway..

001.JPG

So I finally got it to work! Thanks guys I know you guys could see all the problems but this is my first time building up a bike. I had to take the spacers out the FD cage to make it narrower as you can see per picture but it runs fine now with about 1mm clearance from the crank and I set the Limit screw on the FD so it won't hit the crank. But yeah here is what my bike looks like so far guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 109
Ah good.. you may need some spacer, or that bolt will work loose... Got a bit of chain? try using one of the rollers as a spacer. Looks like it'll be about the right width.

Yeah I though that. I will have a look for somthing I can use as a spacer. Just glad I got it all sorted. Need a new free wheel now and wheels

I'm glad you've got it to work, but your bodge may be masking other problems: obviously something is still not right if you have to close the derailleur cage up to get it to work.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but your chainrings look to be too far out from the frame: what is the chainline?

EDIT
Looking at the third photo you posted on the first page, the chainring does look to be too far out: there should only be a couple of mm between the inner ring and the chainstay and no more than 1cm or so between the outer and the chainstay.

That was my first though aswell, that is was out to far but it's defiantly the right bb for the crank. I sticks out about 2mm more than my old crank and bb did but dont know how to get it in any ferther. Chain line looks fairly good though. Any suggestions how to get the crank in abit more?

Latest posts

Back